"Tsunami from Heaven," astounding time-lapse video of a cloudburst

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/05/tsunami-from-heaven-astounding-time-lapse-video-of-a-cloudburst.html

10 Likes

That was totally awesome

7 Likes

9 Likes

Mike Olbinski runs around southern AZ trying to get shots of these, but with the failure of the Monsoon this year I doubt he’ll have a new sequel. Check out the series, though.

3 Likes

That’s simultaneously very relaxing and quite frightening. Makes you realize what clouds can do when they get their shit together.

6 Likes

Humblebrag

One of the great things i like about living in switzerland as an englishman is being able to witness these sort of micro weather events on a regular basis.

I was living in luzern for many years and you can sit in sunshine watching the weather roll in over the lake through the valleys, i now live near lac leman and was watching storms coming over the mountains from france and across the lake

The weather is truly remarkable to watch around here

4 Likes

Those desert monsoons are no joke. I drove through one a few years ago when we were going from Southern California to Phoenix. The outside temp dropped from 110 to 75 in about 10 seconds when we entered the rain. I’ve never in my life seen rain fall that hard, even in the south east or Hawaii.
I could feel the AWD system on my car making adjustments as we very slowly made it through the rain. Never did lose traction, tho.
Then just like that we were back in the sunshine and 110 degrees.

4 Likes

Check out just about anything by Mike Oblinski! I like the Vortex series a lot

3 Likes

More like Tsunami from Hell.

We get microburst storms on the coast fairly frequently (one last week blazed in and tried to remove our porch furniture with raging sideways wind for 20 mins). I’ve dubbed them mini-monsoons because of the way they flail palm tree tops around.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.