Tucker Carlson calls for jailing Dallas stadium architect

Originally published at: Tucker Carlson calls for jailing Dallas stadium architect

5 Likes

Like all public projects, designed and built by the lowest bidders.

If the Texas Rangers wanted a nice looking stadium, they should have fronted their own money and experts to build it.

27 Likes

I have a minor nit with your statement.

There, that’s better.

36 Likes

Insisting on “traditional” and “beautiful” architecture is integral to reactionary and fascist worldviews.

24 Likes

You can say what you want, but Idiocracy is more a documentary of current USA than a comedy. Look, you even have your own Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Camacho!!! Or not??

7 Likes

There is even a conspiracy theory about It

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-04-27/inside-architecture-s-wildest-conspiracy-theory

7 Likes

Gee, thanks.

4 Likes

You could practically set your watch by these fucking guys, they are so perfectly regular in the way that they check all the boxes.

Having seen a certain amount of leftover Fascist art and architecture in Northern Italy, I can say that what these guys really want is “heroic kitsch”: giant bombastic pastiches of classical style, optionally lightly-updated to conform to the mood of the moment. The Italians, for example, sprinkled their Brutalist-classical constructs with enormous nudes, but had them hide their naughty bits behind chunks of poured-concrete machinery, because technology was The Thing (oh, I’m describing a post office, by the way). The whole obsession with classicism goes along with their nostalgia for an imagined better past when everything was simpler and more orderly (and, ideally, sparkling white in every sense).

We can get some idea of what the state-approved art and architecture will look like under the Eternal Trump Presidency just by looking at the aesthetics of everything owned by the Trump Organization, and, frankly, it’s not a great look. If you want a vision of the future, imagine an entire civilization modeled on the edgy aesthetics of an airport gift shop.

20 Likes

What architectural style is this Stadium? No curve, no color, no camp. “Contemporary” I guess?

The what now? How do you get from sheltered loss of function to pro-eugenics?

The human race is losing its wisdom teeth, is that eugenics?

1 Like

For what it is worth, some narrative about why it is what it is, here.

Also, nobody looks at a stadium from above, where much of the ugliness seems to be.

10 Likes

it gives the FargoDome a run for… something.

4 Likes

Uh, from the movie? It’s most definitely pro-eugenics. Look what happens if we let the wrong people breed, etc?

Everything that movie posited is a lie, though. We’re not getting dumber.

2 Likes

Probably the idea the movie forwards that Smart people have smart children and dumb people have dumb children, which is both incorrect and is a pillar of eugenics. It leads directly to “the right people should breed”.

5 Likes

And correct if I’m remembering wrong, the Idiocracy future was not itself a fascist theocracy that executed people for the “wrong” architectural style?

It’s based on the idea that some people “shouldn’t breed” and yes, that’s very eugenics, even if that’s not what Judge was intending to convey.

Jinx to both @anon85524460 and @Drhaggis

coca cola coke GIF

14 Likes

Tucker’s own false equivalency argument comparing government insurrection with unappealing architecture can be applied to his entire broadcast persona:

And you destroy a [public discourse] with that and you degrade people and you detract from their lives with the ugliness that you create, and you don’t get arrested and sentenced to prison?

But I get it, the hypocritical outrage is the point.

1 Like

This sounds a lot like what the birchers were freaking out about the communists doing ages ago. From the list of communist goals alleged by Willard Cleon Skousen in The Naked Communist:

Aside from this being a tired conspiracy theory; is anyone else puzzled by how much agency Carlson is pretending the architect has? This design was their idea; but selection of the design to execute would not have been in the hands of any of the architects submitting proposals.

Now, there is a case to be made that some people should definitely go to prison over a project that involved funneling half a billion dollars to a private sports team out of municipal funds; but not because the result was ugly.

20 Likes

I think the larger point here is that he’s pushing a fascist agenda, and this is yet more evidence of that.

11 Likes

Plus I don’t know what anyone expected the field to look like. It’s a 100% air condition available field that can also have an open roof. There’s a limitation of available options for that that also meets the definitions of what a baseball diamond should be.

2 Likes

10 Likes