Trump declares classical architecture as D.C.'s official style, executive order requires federal buildings to be 'beautiful'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/21/trump-declares-classical-architecture-as-d-c-s-official-style-executive-order-requires-federal-buildings-to-be-beautiful.html

10 Likes

He’s a few steps away from building a building with a giant Andross face with the word “Si!” printed all over it.

16 Likes

46 Likes

hmmm…
something, something, degenerate art?
why does that sound hauntingly familiar?

53 Likes

53 Likes

no allusions to nazi architects/-ure shall be tolerated! (das Telefongespräch for Albert Speer)

14 Likes

“Beautiful” remains so subjective.

18 Likes

Eye of the beholder, and not really the important point here.

The issue is that there are so many other real, detrimental problems that need to be addressed right now, and instead, 45 decides to focus on something trivial.

34 Likes

Is Speer still available?

13 Likes

I thought that libertarians like “modern” architecture?

26 Likes

I wonder how many of Washington’s self-professed Ayn Rand/Objectivist acolytes actually think that Ellsworth Toohey was the fucking ‘hero’ of The Fountainhead

18 Likes

Yeah Trump’s idea of “beautiful architecture” seems to be based on how much of the surface area is covered in fake gold.

no-thank-you-2

50 Likes

Is trump learning to play the fiddle?

12 Likes

To be fair, I find some styles don’t give one much to admire. Here’s the FBI HQ- it looks like a window AC unit:
Imgur

9 Likes

A fifth grader with a ruler designed it, I heard.

2 Likes

So they’re going to paint all those white columns and buildings in the classical style? Oh good!

Unless the ignorant idiot really meant Neo-classical…?

10 Likes

These can be reversed by Biden, it’s just so dumb.

“Democrats want ugly buildings in DC.”

13 Likes

They hate America.

11 Likes

“And they must have small doorknobs that fit tiny hands.”

21 Likes

This is possibly the most verbatim fascist thing he’s said, if not the most facist “in spirit”

22 Likes