Trump declares classical architecture as D.C.'s official style, executive order requires federal buildings to be 'beautiful'

I, for one, love a Corinthian subway station paired with an HVAC plant structure in the Georgian style. I think this is a smart and architecturally meaningful move that speaks of extraordinary taste and an IQ well into the digits.

18 Likes

Yet another WTF from the completely bonkers orange one. Is he, or is he not, going completely round the bend? Thousands of rampant Covid cases in the USA and he has the time to cogitate on architectural styles? The man beggars belief.

12 Likes

How much of this sort of shit is because the staff is trying to distract him with trivialities to keep him from trying to order the army to keep him in power, or start a war, or do other long lasting damage in his last few days? The man has the attention span of a toddler, so waving shiny things at him might keep him off the furniture.

29 Likes

The funny thing is the GSA was making a big push back in 2018-ish IIRC to get away from the heavy, tightly packed and closed classical style and modernize federal buildings with more open spaces, natural lighting, public areas, reduced footprint and optimized for “work from home”, both to increase employee enjoyment (attracting younger talent from the private sector) and cut costs. And now we have dumb fuck 45 trying to reverse this, pushing his tacky personal preferences and lack of style as he’s on his way out of office. Ohhhh 2020. You cheeky basted. You’ll be remembered. Not fondly, but definitely not forgotten.

13 Likes

Hmm. I wonder what recent, distinctly non neo-classical building could have prompted this?

25 Likes

Back when I worked for the fedgov we got to move from an old ex-warehouse-laboratory to a brand new lab building – with open spaces and natural lighting. Just great for laboratories where lasers are in use.

(The fact that they were still working on it when we moved was just another bonus, like the guys grinding the railing for a long set of stairs and filling the labs with metal dust and smell.)

8 Likes

christ, what an asshole

13 Likes

Brutalist architecture for a brutal branch of Government. Seems appropriate.

11 Likes

That sounds very federal gov. “If it worked here the same thing should work for everyone, right?” Also, it might have taken an entire year to sand those hand rails, but I’m sure they were by far the SMOOTHEST hand rails that could be made.

Where I worked, they had a production facility that would make ESPN and CBS blush, and they used it 6 times a year to broadcast online classes. LOL and that was wholly separate from and addition to the PR department.

5 Likes

Need I point out the Irony of an attempt to ban Modernist architecture that explicitly lists Art Deco as one of the “permitted” styles?

38 Likes

Haha. And 45 wanted to shut the whole thing down on the first MLK day of the newly opened museum for his private tour? Wow! Just fucking wow!

12 Likes

Trump seems like more of a guy that gets others to open doors for him.

5 Likes

I didn’t find it, but I’m pretty certain I recall him dragging the museum’s design in a clearly thinly-veiled tirade.

But that was about a thousand tirades ago, so… time marches on!

8 Likes

Melania’s tennis court restroom design, perhaps the first of many Classical NPS restroom facilities to come…

She’s the expert after all…

(The)Tennis Pavilion isn’t Melania’s first foray into architecture and design. She started an undergraduate degree in architecture at the University of Ljubljana but left the course after her first year to pursue modelling in Milan.

Maybe stick to modeling Melania. In Milan.

14 Likes

Joe Biden’s first Executive Order:
“Ignore that asshole. Thanks. J.B.”

10 Likes

In another sense, this might be the best we can hope for. I don’t imagine he’d actually take steps to fix anything we’d consider to be problems, so it might be better that Trump gets distracted with pointless, reversible nonsense rather than making serious issues worse.

10 Likes

I visit Forrestal often (DOE HQ near L’Enfant Plaza) and it’s pretty jarring to see it directly across the street from the Smithsonian Castle. Maybe that style will “age” better, but I kind of doubt it.

It’s pretty clear though that this is the most important thing going on right now though. We’ve got to keep those rogue architects in check…

2 Likes

It’s not surprising I guess that it was the vegetable garden (Michelle Obama) and the children’s play areas that Melanie had to destroy for her new tennis court. I mean “who gives a fuck about children and sustainable living anyway?” Her stupid design looks like a pool house design you’d find on the Vanderbilt Estate. A relic from an era of carpet baggers and egregious wealth disparity.

16 Likes

LOL. That’s going on one of my post it notes immediately and getting framed. :wink:

1 Like

The FBI is planning to move to a new HQ in the suburbs in a few years, so people are talking about what will be done with the site. I mean, probably it will be razed and condos built or something, but I always had a fondness for it due to the X-Files.

4 Likes