Trump declares classical architecture as D.C.'s official style, executive order requires federal buildings to be 'beautiful'

It’s funny that he likes brutality, but not brutalism.

5 Likes

Art Deco isn’t that old, and was considered “modern” in its time.

I guess Bauhaus is out of the question though, huh?

7 Likes

Obligatory.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/03/trump-style-dictator-autocrats-design-214877

The government of Macedonia also decided to make its capital city more beautiful.

11 Likes

“…Her stupid design looks like a pool house design you’d find on the Vanderbilt Estate. A relic from an era of carpet baggers and egregious wealth disparity.”

Very “on brand” for 2020 and the Trump party then?

10 Likes

I doubt that Trump has actually read it; but he sounds like he’s channeling exactly the same flavor of theory about sinister leftist deviations from the aesthetic of the volk that put these items on the list of alleged communist objectives in The Naked Communist back in 1958.

1. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all form of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings,” substituting shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.

2. Control art critics and directors of art museums. " Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art."

6 Likes

Seems like no one considered that there are an awful lot of federal buildings with a whole variety of functions…

17 Likes

Would it have been better in neo-baroque?

11 Likes

Can Biden save time by drafting an Executive Order that nullifies anything with Trmup’s name affixed to it?

11 Likes
5 Likes

Not gonna lie, an Art Deco VAB would be kind of rad.

11 Likes

OH fuck yes, all for an Art Deco one!!

8 Likes

I mean, it would be cool. I’ve been thinking of all the various types of federal buildings out there, and now I’m also imagining one-story, 400 square-foot Neoclassical shacks in the middle of federal parks…

11 Likes

Melania is already working on it.

6 Likes

Fixed. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Well, this is in line with 2000 years of callbacks to the Greek and Roman empires by ruling regimes all over the earth, and is super consistent with our founding fathers’ architectural appeals to authority. What’s weird to me is that it’s not at all in line with Trump’s own construction projects. Behold Trump Tower Panama, as an example:

10 Likes

So Trump would have voted down the Vietnam War Memorial, I suppose.

8 Likes

My old man has, in the past, subscribed me to some pseudo-intellectual racist periodicals. They use code words like “western European” culture and architecture to obliquely argue that white people are superior. I am very certain that this decree has racist roots.

I rather like it. The 99% Invisible podcast covered this style in Ep. 176: Hard to Love a Brute.

Edit:

Yes, good article.

6 Likes

My daughter is also a fan of Brutalism, but I find it neither attractive nor ironically unattractive. I just don’t like looking at it.

4 Likes

It’s gonna be beautiful, so great, an all new DC, and, listen to this, Mexico is going to pay for it, it’s gonna be great…

12 Likes

A lot of people are saying it’s the greatest thing a president has ever done. World leaders are making congratulatory phone calls. Perfect calls.

9 Likes