Trump wants a goth brutalist border wall with black spikes (no, really)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/16/trump-wants-a-goth-brutalist-b.html

5 Likes

Trump might eventually enter his emo phase.

15 Likes

I hear he’s going for a Romanian-inspired design.

40 Likes

So, like…

50 Likes

I think we accidentally elected Kal Torak.

12 Likes

I was thinking more like:

11 Likes

13 Likes

Brutalism actually stands for “beton brut” - blank, raw concrete without anything to mask it. It has nothing to do with spikes, black paint or looking particularily mean. Trumps “design” is simply an example of bad taste and a faible for the ugliest kind of kitsch.

44 Likes

Is this because Gene Simmons was at the WH today?

11 Likes

What else would you expect of someone whose emotional and intellectual development was stunted at age 11?

19 Likes

That’s not what Brutalism is.

Hint: it has nothing to do with “brutality.”

The Geisel Library at UC San Diego is a well-known example of Brutalist architecture:

…though it is, admittedly, somewhat unusual for the genre.

:slightly_smiling_face:

But black-painted spike-topped steel bollards are definitely not it. :wink:

28 Likes

The erratic frequent changes and confused underlings desperately trying to appease ‘dear leader’ remind me of a certain Herr Hitler. We have Hair Twittler. Tweedle Dumbest. Nostradumbass.

14 Likes

“…ooh, and a dragon - I want there to be a dragon, you need to get me a dragon.”

13 Likes
16 Likes

What he’s asking for is some grade-A hoisting petards.

13 Likes

I think the word as used exactly puts across the particular meaning Xeni wants to communicate. “Brutalism” mostly means one who follows the idea of savage, violent behavior, and can mean that even in an architectural setting.

1 Like

Seems like a deep dive into hostile architecture and I wouldn’t be surprised if he wants to landscape around it with some cactus and huisache.

17 Likes

tumblr_pr28d0G1nk1rhs4ze_540

24 Likes

So if brutalism had been used in non-rainy climates, it might have had a better reputation?

3 Likes

I’m not helping clear things up, but was reminded of this:

9 Likes