Turing £50 note revealed

Originally published at: Turing £50 note revealed | Boing Boing

5 Likes

If I could choose between being on the fifty pound note and not being driven to suicide though …

12 Likes

Now that’s my kind of cryptocurrency!

12 Likes

What if I threw chemical castration into the mix?

7 Likes

I feel like it should have been the 10 or the 100

17 Likes

12 Likes

You win.

I was simply wondering how to tell if it was a real 50 pound note or not

4 Likes

There are 12 puzzles on the note also

9 Likes

Ticker tape and a binary message: Bank of England’s new Alan Turing £50 must be the nerdiest banknote ever

4 Likes

AIUI it’s by no means clear that Turing actually killed himself. While it was the coroner’s verdict, that was based purely on the fact that he was known to be intrigued by the poisoned apple scene in Snow White and that a half-eaten apple was discovered next to him- though the apple was never tested for cyanide.

It is just as plausible that he ingested or inhaled the cyanide by accident- he used it for hobby experiments with electroplating at home, and was known to sometimes be careless with it.

1 Like

The £50 note?
The one nobody sees.
The one that stays hidden away if you have one.

There’s an analogy here…

6 Likes

The one that shops often refuse and put up signs telling you that they aren’t accepted.

6 Likes

Hopefully that might change, if the new note has all the modern security features people will be more willing to take it when there aren’t so many counterfeit notes going about.

However, given the timing, the reaction is more likely to be “'cash? Do we still take that?”

1 Like

I was referencing the signs that used to get put up by landlords, that meant that my grandparents had to look elsewhere for somewhere to live (No Irish!).

No queers is an obvious extension from that, I had a really shitty landlord 15 years ago who was clearly transphobic. He didn’t want me living in “his” house, but couldn’t legally stop me. He just turned up the abuse until I moved out.

4 Likes

I’ve seen a £50 note. Twice!
I’ve never owned one though. Even when I worked at a pub (one of the places I saw one) and was getting paid in cash.

1 Like

I owned one (a series E) when I had money after a long period of poverty, and needed something to prove to myself that I was no longer in a situation where I had to decide whether I ate or paid the electricity bill. I never spent it, I just handed it in at the bank the last time the notes changed.

2 Likes

I want a Turing complete £50 note that can emulate thousands more £50 notes flawlessly.

2 Likes

A cryptocurrency mining £50 note?

2 Likes

No, I want it to make real munniez.

2 Likes

3 Likes