"Turkey" is now officially Türkiye within the US State Department, as it is most everywhere else in the world

the turks i know tend to run the second syllables together, so “tur-kyeh” is closest to my ear. i think there’s some regional variation in how distinct vs run together the sounds are though

3 Likes

Sure, Frenched, refers to the method of preparation which (supposedly) originated from France, but if the country issued a statement tomorrow officially changing it’s name back to “Land of the Franks,” thinly sliced potatoes cooked in oil would still be called french fries. My point is I can see people calling an item something else in the given context, but the name of the food isn’t glued to the current name of the country.

3 Likes

Anatolia it is then! Maybe when we can openly discuss the genocides of the Kurds and Armenians we can begin to honor the wishes of the nation in question.

7 Likes

erdogon?, or erdowon?

1 Like

And the natives and residents are still Turkish, no special characters needed. Those of use who are typography-limited could refer to the place as the Turkish state, right? Easier than pulling up a Windoze app.

Disappointing, same as before. Talk about a food that doesn’t meet expectations. :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Turkish delight

“Turkish disappointment” then? Although I kind of like “Edmund’s bane”.

9 Likes

The “I don’t do it often” answer to dealing with special characters is the same as “spellcheck couldn’t work out what I meant” - feed it into a search engine.

Regardless of what France changes their name to, “French fries” still refers to that country, even if we never change the name of French fries. “Cassius Clay highway” (if there was such a thing) would still refer to the same person, even once he changed his name to Muhammad Ali.

Like the town in Alaska?

3 Likes

Long before Unicode, librarians wanted to be able to represent all the diacritics, but the idea of a 16 bit character set was madness for the computers of the time. So rather than having precomposed characters like ñ they created a character set with separate characters for the diacritic and the letter that it modifies. So that was encoded as ~n. Developers of applications were encouraged to display the character correctly if they could, but the underlying record in the catalog was two separate characters. Of course most applications tried to ignore the diacritic, with varying success. For some odd reason, the system that I used to use displayed the separate diacritic as the character that was used in the control sequence to enter it. ISTR that the umlaut displayed as “h” It took some experience to know that when the computer displayed “fhur” the real word in the title would be für.
https://elegantlexicon.com/lib/2019/01/28/what-is-a-character-set-part-two-marc-8/

5 Likes

You have to remember that the books were during WWII in Britain and sweets of any kind were scarce. Also, the British are used to terrible food. :wink:

3 Likes

Did someone say Turkish Delight?

1 Like

fwiw, there are other people who live there other than erdogan, and they do use türkiye to refer to their own country

i get that people call germany… germany, and not deutschland.

still, it’s not like the country has been renamed. they’re just asking people to use its proper name

2 Likes

Endonyms vs Exonyms.

Don’t suppose there is a useful way to represent all the exonyms.

3 Likes

On Windows, holding ALT and pressing 1, 3, 0 on a keyboard’s numberpad gives you an é and holding ALT and pressing 1, 6, 4 gives you ñ.

2 Likes

Muchos gracias. (Uh-oh, did I miss another accented character?)

1 Like

When I was a kid, one of the cheap candies that you would generally only see in the “giant bag of Haloween candy,” assortments were called Mary Janes. Kind of like little butterscotch chewies. They weren’t as awful as candy corn, but they sure weren’t any GOOD. I could always give them to my mom. I made a comment about how bad they were once, and she said “Well I like them anyway.”
“That’s because you grew up during the war when there WAS no decent candy,” I replied.

2 Likes

You’re correct. Phrasing error on my part. Thank you!

2 Likes