Turks: Khashoggi was "dissolved in acid"

After reading that, I kinda want my own Netflix historical drama based on the life of a poor white family in prebellum, Civil War, and Antebellum Georgia called, Mudsill.

3 Likes

If i could like this 5 times i would. Thank you for sharing!

6 Likes

Acid baths. Said cartels were preceded by the Sicilian Mafia.

3 Likes
5 Likes

He was not a nice person.

3 Likes

The Turks would like to dethrone the Saudis as leaders of the Sunni Muslim world.

4 Likes

You’d think that they could afford to hire a competent cleaning service.

1 Like

I think it’s the sheer enormity and brazenness of the Saudi actions.

In other circumstances, Turkey might have approved of the assassination of a liberal, independent reporter, and the collateral chilling effect on liberal, independent reporting. Erdogan certainly knows how annoying they can be.

But this one was even worse than Russia, which is saying something. They should’ve gone the route of Israel, which at least tries to commit its murders in a deniable way.

interesting - thanks for that link.

I really can’t figure out which outcome would be better or worse for who would come out on top.

1 Like

You say “murderer,” I say “job creator.”/s

4 Likes

Came here expecting Victor the Cleaner. Was undisappointed.

4 Likes

You say “Bodies under cement in the basement”, I say “carbon sequestration”.

1 Like

Mix buffered solution with a strong wine. Organise embassy staff to crouch, en masse, below the largest diplomatic table that can be found. Pour mixture into glasses and share among them.

Announce that “We drank Khashoggi under the table”.

My guess is because they didn’t intend to be careless; they were just incompetent and seriously thought they could get away with it.

This is the difference between the Russians and the Saudis; the Saudis thought a “Get Smart” plot would be enough to let them get away with this, and their use of a body double (no matter how ludicrous) suggests both a degree of planning and a wish to conceal. They thought if they tried hard enough there’d be little suspicion.

Putin, on the other hand, is never seeking plausible deniability - what he’s actively working towards is inplausible deniability. Novichok? Plutonium tea? Might as well strangle your enemies with a Russian flag and leave it next to the body. Putin is the blood-covered farmer standing in a yard surrounded by headless chickens holding an axe, claiming “Was fox. Cunning fox.”

8 Likes

Why in hell are we sending any foreign aid to Saudi Arabia or any other terrorist countries?
If Congress actually does want to reduce the deficit, this looks like a great place to start.
Of course, with one known Capone descendant in Congress and another running, “America’s only native criminal class” (Mark Twain) might see the Arabs as a disposal unit instead of New York and other muni landfills.

Because they do what we want them too, which is attempt to preserve the current order in the region. We see them as our proxy in the region and have for a while. They have a good economic relationship with American private corporations, allowed us a base on their soil, they work to keep their allies in line with our goals (especially in ignoring the still ongoing Palestinian refugee crisis, except for the bare minimum humanitarian work), and support those who fight against our enemies (Iran, Syria, Hezbollah).

Because of that, they have become the regional hegemonic power (thanks to oil and the weapons we sell them).

9 Likes

I remember senior Obama administration officials (and IIRC Obama himself) as well as Israeli envoys having to point out to overzealous lawmakers who were considering legislation to cut off aid to the Palestinians, that aid to Palestine was really aid to Israel. It goes a long, long way to keeping things “stable.”

3 Likes

Entirely true… looks like the Trump administration is going to cut off aid, regardless, now.

2 Likes

I’m sort of glad that the Trump administration is crashing these issues. Maybe after the zombie peace process is well and truly dead, squeamish liberals won’t be able to hide behind it.

3 Likes