Turns out "gold heists" are still a thing after $15 million worth of loot stolen from Toronto airport (video)

Originally published at: Turns out "gold heists" are still a thing after $15 million worth of loot stolen from Toronto airport (video) | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Jimmy is still around in spirit.
jimmy-shower

3 Likes

Whose gold was it? The answer to that questions will help shape my enjoyment of this story.

8 Likes

About 500 pounds of gold, maybe in 20 pound bars. So you need four sturdy people, four small but sturdy backpacks and a pry bar. You need to know where the crate is. And you need to get in there. You need to be able to see gold with bad provenance, which is actually very hard.

Good setup, is all I’m saying.

3 Likes

Since it’s implied there’s also art in the crate, I expect this is a billionaire who ticked a portfolio allocation item called “alternative assets.” Everyone else keeps their gold in a vault and leaves it there.

4 Likes

Came here for a Goodfellas reference.
Thank you.

1 Like

Everybody needs money. That’s why they call it money

1 Like

This was a major heist. Well organized, and clearly done with a lot of insider help. It required manpower, heavy equipment, knowing exactly which container to take, and serious transportation away from the scene. All in a venue blanketed in cameras and countless layers of security.

There will definitely be a Netflix Limited Series about this in checks notes eighteen months.

6 Likes

Once saw a local news story here in Detroit, and a member of the public was interviewed.

His name was Art Heist.

I shit you not.

One can’t help wondering whether Mr and Mrs Heist also have a daughter, possibly named Jewel?

3 Likes

Goldie

1 Like

Amateur’s

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.