Turns out, the mystery of Sumerian "handbags" is no mystery at all

The interstellar overlords obviously never reached Japan because the Japanese traditionally carry stuff around in furoshiki cloths rather than bags.

6 Likes

But where do fanny packs fit into the archeological record?

10 Likes

Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

12 Likes

Or maybe time travellers had time machines that worked off of 12 volt batteries:

8 Likes

They’re actually identified as buckets in Sumerian texts and there are even surviving examples of such buckets that look exactly like the ones in the images. So, no mystery at all.

I’m constantly amused by how the “conspiracy ‘archaeologists’” try to make mysteries out of things that are extremely well documented and clearly understood by… just ignoring all the evidence. Sure, the pyramids were built by aliens, just ignore the archaeological evidence of the worker camps, the written records at the site that include the names of the actual workers, the papyrus detailing the strike the workers went on that one time…

26 Likes

If they were really advanced, those Sumerians would have discovered pockets. But no.

13 Likes

I (just that one time, mind you) would have loved having one of those ancient astronaut believers sitting next to me during that one NOVA episode that debunked Erich Von Daniken’s Chariot of the Gods, and for that one seen showing a portion of the (spaceship runway) Nazca Lines and with the scene slowly supplanted in a dissolve by a scene showing a man walking down the ~2’ wide “spaceship runway”.

6 Likes

These kinds of theories branched off some time ago. So a 2020 video on Cayce’s theories will ignore everything after 1945; if Däniken is used, everything after 1968. That’s the best case scenario; these crackpots won’t have been keeping up with the latest literature.

So a recent dig documenting the work camps around the pyramids won’t change things.

9 Likes

Fathers Day Fashion GIF by John Crist Comedy

7 Likes

Never mind what the air-blast from a shuttle-sized craft would do to those lines.

“The aliens’ craft wouldn’t make an air blast. They’re special!”
“So special that they need to follow lines scratched in the dirt rather than instruments?”

It still wouldn’t register.

8 Likes

Surely you can’t believe this codswallop! You can’t be Sirius!

6 Likes

no! it was the “Baghdad Battery”.
oh. don’t get me started on that one… my Friday night happy hour zoom with Dear Brother, just last night, he was on about the “handbags” and how he, colleagues and those before them already knew what they were - water buckets/pails/ carriers. he will be adding a video discussing this on his YT channel.

12 Likes

Right? People are so weird about ancient stuff. I understand that it’s fun to see some ancient object that looks just like a contemporary object of the same kind. I remember being delighted to see an ancient Egyptian comb that looked just like a comb you could buy at the drugstore today. But there’s nothing surprising about ancient people having combs, or carrying things in bags.

8 Likes

Here ya go; apparently Otzi wore one about 5,300 years ago

9 Likes

Oh, I see exactly the same thing with people coming up with “new theories” all the time - they very carefully ignore the evidence in order to come up with their ideas.

4 Likes

Ha thanks - I was going to check his accoutrement for evidence of being a tourist…

4 Likes

At first glance, I thought it was a bucket too.

I’ve seen people claiming similar stone images depict giants. When others point out that the smaller figures are children and adults, not adult humans and giants.

3 Likes

Assless chaps are also clearly a Thing for longer than we thought :laughing:

5 Likes

Could you maybe find it in your heart to post a link for it? Sounds interesting!

4 Likes

sure, because you asked. since i did this before in another thread, i didn’t want to seem to be “spamming”. do check out his reply to another YT presenter on the notorious “Baghdad Battery”. he is just starting to post some new content after returning from Ur, in Iraq, editing the hours and hours of video to present. the stuff from Lagash is fascinating and showcases the work of his colleagues as well as excavation in his own trench.
the earlier content is focused on modern “antiques”, yet use much of the same approach as he uses in the study of ancient antiquities.

7 Likes