TV newscaster alerted of thyroid cancer by viewer who noticed a lump on the reporter's neck

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/24/tv-newscaster-alerted-of-thyro.html

15 Likes
16 Likes

My thyroid goiter when I was young turned out to be benign, but my parents and I would have never had it checked if my science teacher at the time hadn’t noticed that my neck appeared to be abnormally swollen.

12 Likes

I was sure this was a repeat because I read the same story before. Just happened twice I guess.

It was Deborah Norville, just last year…

11 Likes

Happened with someone on HGTV, too. Not sure which show/host but I remember it was a viewer who spotted it.

8 Likes

Thank goodness for universal medicare, where she could have it checked on a random suggestion without worrying about the cost! /s

11 Likes

Cancer seriously sucks.

7 Likes

And then some.

6 Likes

Came here to say the same thing! I thought it was one of those “here’s a weird thing that happened once” stories, not a repeat of a similar event.

2 Likes

lol I wonder how many false positives there are. Maybe dozens of newscasters every day are accused of having a thyroid problem but they just have lumpy throats.

5 Likes

Flip or Flop, Tarek El Moussa

I’m curious what an $8k dollar kitchen remodel looks like.

1 Like

Yike! Good eye, Tuck!

My mom had Graves disease and hers nuked in the 90s, I believe.

1 Like

Accused? That’s a pretty strange choice of words. You think trying to alert someone to a possible problem is an accusation?

3 Likes

I’m sure there are many viewers who offer unsolicited advice. My guess is that some newscasters probably decline to act on the advice, too.

I do know that my PCP checks my neck area during my annual check-up, so it sounds like this is something that would be detected during routine exams.

4 Likes

Ah, that’s the show! I believe he’s from Orange County and I remember that his thyroid cancer made the local paper.

(I, too, would’ve loved to see a $8K kitchen remodel. It sounds too good to be true. Actually, most of those shows seem questionable. Our neighbor across the street bought the house and did a renovation for HGTV. I didn’t see the show, but we did see a moving truck move in furniture and then come back and move it out. Staging.)

I was 100% serious in that post and I stand by my choice of words 10,000%

3 Likes

I had something like this and it was sore and growing. Not that I knew much about thyroid cancer, but I was a bit terrified going in. Then I remembered, and told my doctor, that I had taken over the care for an adopted iguana, that they are notorious for e coli and that his claws would routinely dig into my neck - not to say with bloodshed. Like goats, iguanas seek the highest vantage point available so neck scratches were just along the journey to my shoulder or head.

Very luckily for me, that was the issue. A round of antibiotics cleared it right up. Scary though.

6 Likes

This is a strangely common and international phenonemon e.g.

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if there was a dedicated subreddit for it…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.