TV recap: Game Of Thrones 'The Lion And The Rose' [season 4, episode 2]

On the next episode of CSI: Westeros…who killed the king?

1 Like

It should be called the Lion and the Ruse - the wine is not poisoned, its the piece of pie that Margaery hands him, she had no plans for the siblings’ quarrell. Notice when he starts coughing she looks completely tranquill, and never accuses Tywin of poisoning him - just that he’s choking.

4 Likes

The bleeding and the skin discoloration say cyanide. They should have added foaming at the mouth just for effect. I saw that actually happen one time and it was pretty dramatic.

Long live Ser Pounce!

2 Likes

Wait till you meet the Tarly’s, or maybe they’ll write them out of the show too. I can’t believe they changed Asha’s and Robert’s (Arryn) names to avoid confusion for viewers. It’s like they think TV viewers are too dumb to keep character names in check.

I miss Pretty Pig and Crunch :frowning:

Oh, surely it’s not that difficult. Just think about who doesn’t seem surprised.

1. (previous episode) Sir Dontos makes Sansa a gift of a piece of jewelry, tells her to be sure and wear it to the wedding.
  2. Olenna, Margaery’s grandmother, greets Sansa and adjusts her clothing when she arrives at the feast.
  3. When the pie arrives, Joffrey places his wine cup down on the table to his right, within Olenna’s reach.
  4. Sir Dontos goes to Sansa during the poisoning, before Joffrey is dead, and tells her she needs to leave right now.
3 Likes
  1. What is the significance of the necklace, in that case?

2. What is the significance of adjusting Sansa’s clothing?

3. What about that several-seconds-long camera shot to look at the cut-into pie before it was eaten by Joffrey?

4. Who wants both Joffrey and Tyrion dead, but Sansa safe? Only family protects like that in this world, and she doesn’t have any, anymore.

Why is anyone taking orders from Cersei at the end there? She has no authority. Margaery or Tommen would be in charge, depending on the rules of succession.

And laying blame on Tyrion is obviously implausible — he didn’t volunteer for cupbearer duty, and had no time to arrange a poisoning.

If she has no family anymore, that is, no family that can help her, who offered her help to get any from King’s Landing before? You know, the one she turned down when the Tyrells offered to take her to see their estates?

I’ve noticed that the implausible scapegoating attempted by both villains and heroes in GoT actually matches similarly lame attempts at blaming inconvenient bystanders in real life (Dreyfuss affair), as well as lame claims by the obviously guilty that they are merely patsies. Backwards “B”, anyone?

1 Like

As far as the Tarlys go, we’ve already seen Samwell as a featured character, and since Gwendoline Christie is now being listed in the title credits, we can expect Brienne to remain as a main character, and thus probably see her encounters with Sam’s dad.

Exactly–look at the relentless attempts by Obama’s political enemies to blame him for the embassy attack at Benghazi. And, also, in GoT there are a lot of people who believe that Tyrion is literally cursed; “Imp” isn’t just a term of abuse. Heck, his own dad blames him for his mother’s death.

1 Like

What is the significance of the necklace, in that case?
We learn from the book that Sansa notices one of the beads is missing after Olenna adjusts it.

What about that several-seconds-long camera shot to look at the cut-into pie
I think it’s metaphorical - Joffrey’s savage slash has killed several of the peace doves that were supposed to be released.

Who wants both Joffrey and Tyrion dead, but Sansa safe?
Forget Tyrion, he’s accidental to this. One family wanted Margaery to be queen, but not with the loathsome Joffrey as king. That same family may feel some obligation to the girl they elbowed aside in the process. Sansa is also of interest to other parties because of her inheritance.

I’ve managed to avoid every and all spoilers so far so I may be totally wrong but I gather the Lord of Light in hell etc is Gnostic Christianity of a sort. This is Hell. The ‘Lord’ of the realm is the Devil/Jesus. y’know, etc.

Duh, the poison was in the cake, not the wine. (Or was it the vessel with the pestle?)

What with dragons being bad and all, you’d have thought he would’ve avoided the flagon with the dragon, and gone with the chalice from the place - obviously it would’ve had the brew that was true. Stupid, stupid boy. His death should’ve lasted much longer. They should have given him to the Roose to turn into Reek.

4 Likes

The king in yellow! Carcosa?

Thank you very much!

We only subscribed to HBO last week, between the premiere and 2nd episode of the current season. (Yes, it was due to two members of the family getting hooked on GoT and there being no other legal way to get it without waiting for at least a year. What can I say? I held out against premium programming until 2014.) Fortunately, they play the same shows and movies over and over again over the course of a week so I was able to watch the wedding feast scene in the second episode again, looking for exactly what you’ve mentioned. Lo and behold, the slight of hand was too subtle to see without the hint, but now that I know what I’m looking for the missing bead is quite obvious. I had wondered what the fallout was going to be for Sansa being honest with Olenna and Margaery. I had assumed she was going to get in trouble for it. Silly me. This is a much better outcome!

Is there a long-standing grudge between their families, or is this just to protect her granddaughter? Since Joffrey died before the marriage was consummated, I doubt Margaery gets to be queen, so it can’t be that.

So Melisandre is Rasputin?

Good point! The cast of characters is so confusing that I have a tendency to keep it simple in my mind and assume that every family is against every other family, but of course there are alliances.

1 Like