Twerking film from 1910

Not really, no.

I have seen portions of the performance online. I have a TV, but I thought by not watching live that I was un-hip. I guess there is a thin line there.

How about this one?

She’s performing a risquĂ© burlesque - a step towards her personal abyss (afgrund).

That is not twerking. It is a vertical lapdance and a pretty good one.

2 Likes

Proof that white girls haven’t learned the proper twerk in over a century.

What the MSM hasn’t talked about is the prominent roll that the pedo-bear played in the number. There was an army of them leering at her. I also must say that Miley Cyrus has no sex appeal at all. It was a bizarre thing to see on TV. It was as if Disney produced it for an audience of adult mentally handicapped men. One of the more strange things I have seen on TV in America. At the same time, absolutely de-racinated, with out soul or heart of any kind. It was vulgar in the old meaning, tasteless nothing, jaw-droppingly awful. If she had a scintilla of self-awareness it would have been improved tremendously. Notable for its truly epic level of fail.

She’s 20.

I don’t think I am over-interpreting

Does anyone else find it a little racist (or racially insensitive, at the least) for Mark to call this twerking? Isn’t that sort of the same appropriation of black culture that African American writers are referring to? To label a dance by a northern European white woman in a century old Danish film “twerking” further subsumes and clouds perception of actual twerk dance as practiced by the culture that created it. It’s as if he looked at this video and thought, “wow, that’s a sexually suggestive dance where the woman gyrates and rubs her butt on a man; I’ll call it twerking, because everyone understands that as shorthand for ‘salacious dance involving booty.’”

1 Like

That’s not twerking. That’s undulating. Twerking requires a bounce, bounce-back, frequency amplification.

1 Like

I never thought I would type these words, but I now feel compelled to find the resonant frequency of my buttocks.

2 Likes

I don’t even own a twerk.

Damn you. Damn you to hell.

At least it was not the forbidden dance!

God help me, the electronics in my house are a cobbled-together nightmare not far removed from that. I think it’s theoretically possible to make telly happen, but probably only I could do so. and I don’t really bother.

This is not twerking. Stop encouraging the notion that White folk either have permission to, or should have permission to twerk. Twerking is for Black folk. Full stop.

Yes, I absolutely agree. Calling what the woman in this video is doing “twerking” encourages the erasure of the history of what is a traditionally Black form of dance. It also encourages the invisibility of the Black bodies who twerk/ed. I mean, didn’t BoingBoing just post a series of vids last week about the explicitly Black, African history of twerking?

1 Like

Right, because it’s not available to view ANYWHERE ELSE except for on a TV set. If only there was some way that we, as a society, could view entertainment on our computers. Well, somebody will crack that nut some day I suppose.

Right. My current desktop computer is a spare that’s about 10 years old and would not handle streaming well. My bedroom computer is better but usually it’s all I can do to stay awake through an episode of Copper or Dexter. I spend a little time on YouTube but with such a backlog of things that really interest me to check out I doubt I’ll get around to viewing Miley Cyrus’ scandalous performance. She just isn’t on my radar and I’m fine with that. That does not make me more hip than someone more Miley-aware. It makes me a person who happens not to be interested enough in Miley Cyrus to put effort into viewing her. But we’re splitting hairs here and my main point is that someone could not see what Miley did for reasons other than thinking that it made them superior to people who had seen it.