Twins react as they hear Phil Collins' 'In the Air Tonight' for the first time

Are you not American?

They are speaking in Black vernacular…

12 Likes

What a strange reaction to that video. That was goddam delightful. These kids are charismatic, genuine and interested in new experiences outside of their comfort zone. The future of humanity is bright, indeed.

17 Likes

He really is…

6 Likes

Unlike some people in this thread, who apparently delight in sneering at the youths…

If we can get over this stupid place we’re in and actual work to fix our collective problems, then yes.

[ETA] Here are a few more…

Dolly!

Portishead!

Also… this is me every time I hear Roads… it sounds just as fresh as the first time I heard it every time.

14 Likes

Like we’ve discussed before, the only minor issue I have with these twins is that it’s unfortunate that they were not exposed to a wider variety of music while they were growing up.

That they choose to explore and expand their auditory horizons now as adults is a good thing…

20 Likes

6 Likes

Right?

NINA!

13 Likes

It’s down right criminal that they’d never heard Nina Simone before…

11 Likes

Sound quality on that particular one wasn’t great. Most of their other videos I’ve had no problem understanding them.

True. But I bet there are a not insignificant number of people who haven’t heard her, sadly.

5 Likes

True.

As much as I’m loathe to admit it, over the years I’ve personally gotten hip to tons of music that I was never exposed to as a kid via movies and tv shows.

Anytime I hear something unfamiliar that I dig, I go seeking it out…

9 Likes

Me too. I do think that that is rare, though. I think there is a minority of people who like music and actively seek it out, and the majority who just see it as enjoyable background sounds, without much thought involved in digging deeper. Which is sad, as music is one of life’s great joys.

10 Likes

Yep, this. I’ve also had a similar thing where I was overexposed to something as a kid but have come back as an adult and realized that I was overexposed to it because it was actually awesome. (“In the Air Tonight” is actually an example of that–I’d heard it a billion times, and as a result didn’t listen to it until I was in my late 20s/early 30s, at which point my reaction was kind of like these guys’.)

5 Likes

I hope not, especially now that finding new music to enjoy is so convenient…

5 Likes

Collins wrote some real crap pop songs… In the Air is one of his better songs, for sure.

I could be wrong, of course, but that’s how it seems to me? Or maybe it’s that people get into their musical ruts/grooves and tend to not want to deviate… or some combination of that and musical incuriousosity?

8 Likes

Nope, it;'s great. Their whole channel is them experiencing “oldies” for the first time, as requested by fans. They have a nice appreciation for all kinds of music. I saw this Phil Collins thing the other day, and it caused me to lose an afternoon in a rabbit hole of watching these kids. They’re great.

9 Likes

I particularly dug on their (I guess “his” - one of them doing it solo) reaction to “California Dreaming” by the Mamas and the Papas.

Also, the very brief scandalization of being told that the fellow was merely “pretending” to pray.

I’d dig on watching some old middle class white fart like me reacting to his first listening to Jay Z or something.

4 Likes

Here is a neat video about gated reverb which the drums on that song and many in the 80s used.

8 Likes

One of the great joys of my childhood was picking through the music at thrift stores and record store bargain bins. Kind of like opening a dictionary or encyclopedia or atlas or omnibus to a random page.

7 Likes

There are obv. TONS of this type of video online, a lot of which are of the very fake “I’ve never heard this totally popular song ever before in my life, so here’s an overblown reaction to something you literally cannot avoid hearing any public place you go…”, but there are some real gems.

One of my personal favorites:
Jinjer isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but this has got to be the perfect song to catch people off guard.

5 Likes