Childish Gambino's "This is America" set to "Call Me Maybe" walks a fine line

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/13/childish-gambinos-this-is.html

2 Likes

On the one hand 4/4/ timing is pretty interchangeable. On the other hand, the choreography syncs up even better than I expected.

17 Likes

Oh good, let’s have a really angry argument about this!

6 Likes

We could get Weird Al and Coolio to comment about the good old days and Gangsta’s Paradise for historical perspective.

8 Likes

Well just to kick things off, I thought it was charming and funny. Too bad about the ending.

2 Likes

Well that was really neat.

I didn’t like the Childish Gambino song the first time I watched the video. The second time I watched it, I loved it.

2 Likes

Believe me, I wanted to hate it but I can’t, not completely. I saw the link in a friend’s feed and immediately thought, “Too soon.”

Yeah, that was fun. It wouldn’t work if it didn’t appear to sync up as well as it did. It’s absurd, but so is life.

5 Likes

I hate this take. We are capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. We can both understand the thoughtful point the video makes and laugh at stupid memes that reuse images. This isn’t a new idea. Pop-art was all about reusing and re-appropriating popular images. The whole reason those pieces work is because of the friction between their old and new meaning.

6 Likes

no, it clearly crosses the line into tasteless. it’s still skillful and funny.
good stuff, thx.

Interesting but meaningless.

8 Likes

Tasteless, skilful, and funny? That’s 3/3 for me.

7 Likes

10 Likes

When Americans are uncomfortable with TRUTH, they mask it with crap like this.

9 Likes

I’m actually not trippin’; changing the music to something mindless & happy doesn’t lessen the impact… it makes the juxtaposition even more powerful, IMO.

It’s like saying ‘distract yourselves all you want; the water is still boiling, and we’e all slowly being cooked.’

Edited for typos.

18 Likes

I Didn’t Just Come Here to Dance would have been a more interesting CRJ crossover choice, thematically, but hey, you make desperate Youtube clickbait with the tools you have.

4 Likes

Mmm, we could do that.

Or… we could just make jokes.

6 Likes

9 Likes

Is that… Hunter? I can’t quite place it…

4 Likes

Yep; I’ve been quoting his tag line for years.

7 Likes

I think it underscores one of the points Glover is trying to make with This is America – mainstream pop music is predictably basic in its composition, recyclable, and a distraction from the violent trash fire that is America.

12 Likes