Originally published at: Singer murders National Anthem at CPAC | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Yes, it’s relevant.

50 Likes

42 Likes

“Oh say can you see the Nazis at CPAC!”

You’re welcome!

23 Likes

I don’t care what you say. A massive donor somewhere is still very proud of his daughter.

76 Likes

My first thought seeing this yesterday was to wonder which fatcat donor’s daughter or niece this person is.

I feel sorry for her, but her rendition is an accurate reflection of modern movement conservatism’s distorted view of American “greatness”.

28 Likes

Clearly the range was too wide for her, which is why she kept unconsciously shifting. But I’m not going to care because Nazi’s and golden calves.

14 Likes

Alternative facts… Alternative notes… Same diff.

17 Likes

The average high school event that I have attended has had a more capable singer of the National Anthem.

Maybe they thought that Lady Gaga is a talentless hack (see Jan. 20th), and they could own the libs by upstaging her? If so, they succeeded.

6 Likes

:notes: 'Murka, 'Murka über alles:notes:

Oops, too soon.

15 Likes

This sounds like one of those “lets take an upbeat song and turn it depressing” covers on utube

13 Likes

My first thought: well, they’re murdering democracy, why not murder everything else.

Then I listened to her. The comment about Ives and Zappa is not too far off. I fully expect someone to harmonize her performance in a youtube reply video and make it work on some kind of post-romantic Gustav Mahler level.

Stravinsky famously re-harmonized the Star Spangled Banner while living in the USA. (It’s a myth that he got arrested for it.)

4 Likes

I dunno - it seems like a lot of people do weird things with that song. Sung straight laced, it is hard to sing and not very interesting.

People try to put their spin on it and it rarely “works” for me. Funky runs and stuff. If you nail the last line people usually clap. This person sounds like one of those people that go over the top on American Idol and it just doesn’t work.

13 Likes

My first thought was that she’d watched Lady Gaga and thought, “I can do that. That’s what I sound like when I sing in the shower!”

8 Likes

The tone deafness is no longer merely metaphorical.

30 Likes

4v4K

7 Likes

Bless her heart. It’s the thought that counts, right? She hit all the notes, just not in the required sequence. I think this is the same young lady who got booed when announcing the mask rule the other day. Guess this is her pay-back move…she knows they can’t boo the National Anthem.
I present:

15 Likes

Obligatory (should be cued up to the right moment, but worth watching whole, anyway - even though this version seems edited.)

16 Likes

She’s trying to avoid back stage groping that inevitably happens when women are in the presence of too many Conservatives in one place.

9 Likes

So much to love here; but I’m particularly taken with the panting after the needlessly long high note, and the last line ending “…and the home oven tha brave.”

She made it her own.

And hopefully, she will pack it up and take it with her.

3 Likes