Childish Gambino's "This is America" set to "Call Me Maybe" walks a fine line

Agreed.

8 Likes

This is neat. Watching the made me focus on Gambino’s face and body language. It’s actually quite amazing. One second, he’s grimacing with disgust, the next he’s got this shit eating grin. And the way he dances is sort of mocking all of the tough guy gangster wrappers with both delight and disgust (I’ve also read about how this dancing also mocks the Jim Crow dance). So, there’s a lot to see.

6 Likes

Holy shit. That’s downright uncanny how perversely well it syncs up. The shock alone made me laugh.

NO, LET’S NOT!!

Yeah, there’s an interesting/funny juxtaposition with the incongruous music, but it’s fascinating to just watch him, because there’s so much going on there, even in the first minute of the video.

4 Likes

People joke about things that make them uncomfortable. People also take advantage of any meme that penetrates deeply enough into our collective consciousness. It’s not necessarily a denial or trivialization of TRUTH.

2 Likes

This song is one of my guilty pleasures. There, i said it.

As for syncing it with this song I think it’s meaningless. Kind of takes away the impact of the original which can only be a bad thing in my eyes.

Whoever did this needs to be flogged. This is serious stuff here and we shouldn’t be messing with the meaning by mixing these things together. Seriously, how could someone ruin such a great song by syncing it with such a stupid video. Carly Rae is a jem and a national treasure.

3 Likes

My God, culture moves fast on the internet.

4 Likes

Pulling the craziest thing out of my ass, give this one 4-5 seconds head start for the sync:

2 Likes

Hot night, wind is blowing’

Where you think you’re going

Yes, this is crazy.

Yes indeed.

It’s too good to resist calling it awesome.

Also made me hyper focus on body language. It played exactly like watching it with the sound muted. The dancing is like the spinning chambers of a revolver loaded with masculinity, femininity, innocence, horror. Gambino’s left eye moving independently from the right.

3 Likes

So yoinking that!

2 Likes

Now can we set the Gambino track to some of the video on the other story about the loony tunes racist white woman who had the African American family detained by police for an hour? For an effing barbecue? I know it’s not gun violence, but it has a similar absurdity to it. If the family had contested the presence of the police enough, it’s possible the Gambino track would fit the video even better and worse.

I don’t like this, but I also don’t really believe that music drives social change; people drive change and they bring their music along with them a confirmation/consolidation, maybe. It’s my hope that songs like Gambino’s demonstrate the deeper muscles of changes at work below the skin of the system (idk, but I can hope, anyway).

Why not both (or, something close to that)?

Music has clearly played an integral role in many protest movements. And when it’s performed by established celebrities, they basically sing in tune with various movements, often helping to validate them, and thus enlarge them.

Woody wasn’t wrong!

8 Likes

They’re getting worse…

2 Likes

Warhol’s vision of 15 min for everyone has essentially come true. And the EASIEST way to get your 15 min isn’t to come up with something original that is great, but to parody/satire/remix something that is great and super hot and popular (viral). This will be the norm for here on out, shameless glomming on.

4 Likes

Democratization of entertainment isn’t an unalloyed good. But it does transfer some of the curatorial power of entertainment industry fat-cats to us and our chosen curators (such as Boing Boing), which I for one regard as a net positive.

4 Likes

2 Likes

If you have a music background, you would understand that two song videos with the exact same tempo and time signature, would probably match up when dancing or movement to the beat is involved. So it doesn’t surprise me.

The first think I thought when I saw this post was, WOW, THIS IS AMERICA!

well, that worked out better than I expected

2 Likes