Twitch streamer panics during kitchen fire during live video

Originally published at: Twitch streamer panics during kitchen fire during live video | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Note to self: reiterate with kids to cover a grease fire and never use water…

23 Likes

Note to others…here’s what happens when you use water to put out a grease fire:

Here’s the proper way to put one out

19 Likes

Holy sh!t! There’s Waldo, and he’s taken up arson!

Also: baking soda for a kitchen fire, if it’s a smallish one.

14 Likes

glad i don’t subscribe. i already know how to start a kitchen fire.

22 Likes

Reading about this, before I saw the video, I wondered if it was staged. Watching the video, I heavily suspect it was.

1 Like

Donald Glover Pizza GIF

11 Likes

Why’s that?

4 Likes

The "I set my kitchen on fire" for click bait is strong in this one.

5 Likes

I am thankful I have never had to use it, but this is why I have a fire extinguisher under the kitchen sink

5 Likes

Could be worse…

5 Likes

play stupid influencer games, win stupid influencer prizes.

1 Like

Seems to me that a requirement for graduating from 8th grade ought to be an actual test of putting out an oil fire in a kitchen. That’s the sort of thing that kids remember well into adulthood.

9 Likes

I mean, all she needed was a lid. I also have a fire extinguisher at hand in my kitchen, but I would never, ever, let a pan get that hot in the first place. Wisps of smoke and I start freaking out about fire, never mind whole clouds of it. Yeesh.

4 Likes

The room is filling with thick smoke before the fire and she seems unconcerned - it’s pretty obviously too hot and about to catch fire, and she’s interacting with it, so she’s aware. That by itself is somewhat plausible if you’ve never cooked before, but then her reaction seems too staged - she doesn’t do anything dumb that renders the situation out of control, and the way she repeats “I don’t know what to do,” to drive things home. And streamers are constantly coming up with dumb stunts to get attention, which this did. (It went viral despite nothing really happening in the video.)

Yeah, that was in the back of my mind as soon as I heard about this.

3 Likes

I suspect this as well, if for no other reason than every 12yo knows you put the lid on the pan to put out a fire in the kitchen. Don’t they? I’ve certainly never met anyone who doesn’t know this. It’s one of those basic things that it’s hard to grow up not knowing in any basic society.

3 Likes

No smoke detectors here? No exhaust fan? The smell must have awful, that fog was so thick. I’m glad nobody was hurt, but I wouldn’t want to clean that kitchen up.

2 Likes

I wonder why he slid the lid on. So that it continues to deplete oxygen until the last moment? Just leaving the lid on would accomplish the same, no?

Anyway, the upshot is use a lid to smother it. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

I think it’s to demonstrate good practice. In reality almost no lid has such a long handle, so you slide it on holding it like a shield protecting your hand from the fire

6 Likes

Aha, that makes sense.

4 Likes