Twitter bans @DPRK_News, famous parody account mocking North Korea's furious yet florid news agency

I suppose. But parody is protected by the 1st ammegemenon thingy thing. But I suppose it’s not the government saying they can’t do it. But at what point does it become a moot point and it stifles just as much as if the govt. censored twitter? Like, there’s no alternative soapbox, really.

Really? (Was that missing an /s tag?)

No. It never becomes a moot point with Twitter or Facebook or any other commercially operated platform. Nobody has a right to use it - it is not a public utility or a publicly or government-funded entity.

All they requested is that he tag it explicitly as a parody account. If that ruined the joke, then the joke seems to depend on people believing it for some period of time. I don’t know, for a private entity as dumb and lowest-common-denominator as Twitter, this seems not unreasonable to me.

I mean, the US was just beaten by the Taliban, and they haven’t tested any kind of intercontinental ballistic missile at all, let alone one that may be nuclear tipped.

I forget, when was the last time the US won a war?

1 Like

But at what point does it become indispensable as a societal tool? At which point to we say they have too much power and we decide that it IS a right to use it? I mean, when that outage facebook happened (which I missed completely) people couldn’t pay bills and actually get stuff done.

At some point, it will have to be a public service.

My view is ‘never’. For others? I cannot say. I have never been on Facebook - and cannot see any possibility that I ever will.

If and when ‘it’ becomes a public service it will not be ‘Facebook’, and it will not offer many of the facilities it currently does (e.g. the facility to be tracked and advertised to, the facility to be directed to ever more divisive content, the facility to be lied to by any dumb fuck with an account) and will be an entirely different thing.

That is to say, a public service platform is a good idea but to be thus, it must not be privately owned. I cannot see any American govt (or currently any UK one) funding a public service platform, even assuming it could get past all the highly charged arguments about what its scope should be - i.e. what is it FOR? (And why would they fund a platform for use by non-nationals? Hardly a global communication tool if it is a national public service, and I can’t see the UN getting everyone to agree to fund a global one!)

We all know what Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook is for, though, and it is not for the benefit of society in any way shape, or form.

People could not get ‘stuff’ done? Tough. Should not have relied on a free private service for doing this oh, so critical ‘stuff’. Couldn’t pay bills? Really? There was NO alternative for whatever bills were payable via Facebook? The sooner everyone realises that relying on Facebook is a truly dumb idea, the better. If it takes some salutary practical lessons to make them realise, fine by me. And no, I have absolutely zero sympathy for anyone at all inconvenienced by a Facebook outage.

And this, today - yet another new whistleblower leak:

Facebook officials frequently declined to enforce safety rules for fear of angering Donald Trump and his allies or offsetting the company’s huge growth. In one alleged incident, Tucker Bounds, a Facebook communications official, dismissed concerns about the platform’s role in 2016 election manipulation.

“It will be a flash in the pan,” Bounds said, according to the affidavit, as reported by the Post. “Some legislators will get pissy. And then in a few weeks they will move on to something else. Meanwhile, we are printing money in the basement, and we are fine.”

And…

The documents show that Facebook employees repeatedly flagged concerns before and after the election, when Donald Trump tried to falsely overturn Joe Biden’s victory. According to the New York Times, a company data scientist told coworkers a week after the election that 10% of all US views of political content were of posts that falsely claimed the vote was fraudulent. But as workers flagged these issues and urged the company to act, the company failed or struggled to address the problems, the Times reported.

And…

In one striking internal study, a Facebook researcher created a fake profile for “Carol Smith”, conservative female user whose interests included Fox News and Donald Trump. The experiment showed that within two days, Facebook’s algorithm was recommending “Carol” join groups dedicated to QAnon, a baseless internet conspiracy theory.

Well, now we know what’s in the safe…Yeezy sneakers…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.