Twitter blocks people without accounts from seeing tweets; Musk blames AI startups scraping content

Hm.

20 Likes
10 Likes

You really don’t want to have the javascript on all the clients out of sync with the server code.

9 Likes

But can you really say that one wouldn’t be doing the world a favor? :thinking:

4 Likes
5 Likes

I got a Bluesky invite today, so

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

4 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes

It didn’t even click that it’s the beginning of the quarter. Non-payment seems pretty darn likely now.

8 Likes

We can? It wasn’t working Thursday night

I guess that part is “fixed”

6 Likes

Finally. This may not be the last nail in Twitter’s coffin, but it’s a welcome step towards the site’s end. I’m surprised Musk didn’t (figuratively) shoot himself in the head this way earlier.

6 Likes

It might be everything all at once into all the fans.

He’s pushed the code out on to a ledge, handed it an anvil, then maybe the cloud supports were yanked out.

I’m thinking it would be good if it’s gone before the 2024 election really heats up.

14 Likes

Haven’t twitter not paid some of their servers?
Maybe some of them are requiring twitter to give some guarantees that they will be paid or some upfront payment before providing extra servers.

Does the 4th of July also make a huge uptick in user posts?
I remember that the olympics or football world cup crashed twitter even before musk take over.

3 Likes

LOL, it’s all coming apart, now. It really makes such a mockery of his “plans” for the site. “I’m going to make Twitter into… [looks around wildly] Youtube. Also with financial transactions. Never mind we can’t even manage posts with 280 characters.”

:clown_face::poop:! If you have an “unverified” account, you get to see 600 posts a day? Might as well just cut off access entirely. Even 6000 is going to get wiped out by one viral tweet. It’s like he’s deliberately trying to wean users off the service (and get advertisers to abandon it as well).

It’s been suggested that dropping API access pushed various bots into scraping instead - so it’s not even necessarily anything new, it’s that Twitter’s changes put more stress on the servers and less resiliency in dealing with it.

And even if this is temporary, he’s more permanently driving away both users and advertisers. This is exactly what you’d do to get people to quit using Twitter if they were addicted.

5 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

Too late. It imploded.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/we-may-be-watching-twitter-implode-in-real-time/2022/11/11/36ba5f0a-61d7-11ed-a131-e900e4a6336b_story.html

3 Likes

Pretty sure this is what happened to Twitter today. The Google Cloud contract ended yesterday.

From June:

9 Likes

Came for this. Wasn’t disappointed. :rofl:

4 Likes

What a colossally stupid decision.

If they make an exception for search engines, everyone will keep scraping them out of the google cache.

If they don’t, no new user will have any reason to create an account there, ever, unless it’s by word of mouth.

1 Like

As before, the “rescue attempt” was a farce.

4 Likes