Twitter briefly and immeasurably improved by removal of Donald Trump

Your not helping your case defending this tweet

9 Likes

We can’t get people to stop defending nazi’s on this site, are you really surprised some people think the mean old liberals are censoring the god-fearing, noble conservatives?

Never mind posting a link to the fucking Daily Heil

6 Likes

If I was in that twitter employee’s position, I wouldn’t have done it… I would have done something better. I would have leaked all of Trump’s twitter DMs, posted a link to them through that twitter account and changed his password so he couldn’t delete the tweets that linked to the DMs for several minutes.

That way the effects of a stunt like that could have lasted significantly longer than just a few minutes.

3 Likes

An 11-minute social media vacation from The Darkest Timeline.

2 Likes

Seriously? Rioters pulled him out of his truck, not protesters.

12 Likes

Agreed. Every link comedian has posted there is an echo-chamber special, sadly,

3 Likes

Imagine if that random Twitter employee had posted Trump’s resignation (in language appropriate to Trump, of course, so something like “Mission accomplished! Retiring immediately to play more golf.”) to that account?

2 Likes

Generally speaking, the ability to delete a user’s content (up to and including their account) and the ability to create content as that user are not connected permissions. I obviously can’t speak to Twitter’s back-end specifically, and no system is completely secure against such potentialities, but assuming the platform engineers at Twitter are even minimally competent, the customer support back-end has no “post as X” option, while “delete X’s account” is almost certainly a few clicks away at all times.

8 Likes

“Tired of Washington SWAMP stopping me Making America Great Again. Losers! I tried but now I QUIT! SAD!”

2 Likes

The ones at Facebook certain used not to be, with permissions seeming to alter almost randomly.
I don’t know about now because I use neither.

I’m flummoxed by those asking why there aren’t special layers of protections for the president’s Twitter account, when a) it’s not even the POTUS account, and b) it’s a goddamn goofy social media site, which, as Obama understood, is only appropriate for fluff messages of condolence/congratulations from the president. It really reinforces how completely and utterly inappropriate (and dangerous) Donnie’s entire use of Twitter is, yet that message still isn’t getting through to the people who need to understand that.

But Nazi-sympathizing news-fabricators make for the best fake evidence! (And the Weekly World News didn’t have any handy articles about that commie Bat-boy secretly running Twitter…)

4 Likes

Can we remove He Who Must Not Be Named, not just his Twitter account?

4 Likes

I don’t disagree, but I think this is an indication of both

1. How Trump’s dependence on Twitter is irresponsible on multiple levels
  2. How Twitter has grown from a modest social media tool into something that is now far beyond its creators’ ability to effectively secure or control
7 Likes

It’s almost like they wouldn’t do it to us given the chance.

Evidence: various actions of the far right over the last hundred years.

1 Like

Also, Krang T Nelson getting a suspension for his November 4th Antifa riot jokes: https://mic.com/articles/185689/november-4-conspiracy-alt-right-krang-t-nelson-antifa-supersoldiers-meme

1 Like

The offence of one is a tragedy, the offence of millions is just a statistic

1 Like

Oh, absolutely, on both points. On the latter point, see also: Facebook. Social networks turn out to be really great at getting away from their naive creators.

Twitter has become critical infrastructure.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.