Twitter confirms Trump will lose "public interest protections" for tweets when Biden takes office

Nah, he was talking about running in 2024 before this election too, because he “deserved” it.

7 Likes

He’s been talking about ignoring the Constitutional term limit for a few years now. Announcing his candidacy for president in 2024 is completely independent from whether he thinks he won this election.

13 Likes

That’s my spit-take, too. He is only going to ‘concede’ when all his court cases fail to gain traction and he is surrounded by a chorus of his closest allies calling for him to give in. And even then, it won’t be a gracious speech like McCain’s. It’ll be a lame-ass, poor-me, own-the-libs, nya-nya-nyaaaa in a Tweet. “And Oh BTW, congratulations Biden you’ll be the worst president in US history.” Or some other stupid eye-rolling thing a 4 year old would say.

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1325832099346051072
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1325832873321013248
https://twitter.com/simonwgill/status/1325832851695263748
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1325832953180647429

13 Likes

I know I’m always saying Twitter should ban Turmp or whatever, but in fairness to them, nothing they could do would satisfy me, because a better Twitter is not what I want. What I want is a world that doesn’t treat Twitter any more seriously than it treats Candy Crush, or horoscopes, or any other mindless distraction activity.

Before Twitter came along, the news was already relying increasingly on “people are saying” type stories. So it’s not like Twitter forced the media to become a vacuous self-regarding gossip vortex. Advertising did that.

9 Likes

True. Vox populi reporting existed as lazy news filler long before Twitter existed. Twitter just made it faster and easier to fill air time and column space with random people’s soundbites.

Twitter is really the perfect medium for sourcing vacuous news. A reporter no longer has to search through interview footage or text for sound bites. People already have to reduce their thoughts to soundbites just to send them via Twitter, so a ready-made soundbite is already sitting there for the taking. And people, whose thoughts don’t exceed the word limit for Twitter can play on equal footing with people who are actually thoughtful and nuanced because Twitter makes them seem like equals.

Twitter based reporting needs to go in the garbage can. As does the rush to publish that skips fact checking. Likewise publishing Trump’s tweeted lies in the headlines of articles. Trump is a master of infecting the host and getting them to reproduce and spread his viral lies. And we tend to believe the things we hear the most. So it works. Time for the media to just cut that crap out.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the media will reserve all of their fact checking and criticism for Biden going forward. And they will hold him accountable for individual occasional misstatements, while letting Trump off for literally tens of thousands.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t bode well for a certain editor round here.

(But I fully agree.)

8 Likes

Let’s just hope he’s in jail before then.

8 Likes

I have my hopes a little higher (C’mon COVID!)

5 Likes

Eugene Debs ran for the Presidency from jail. He lost, alas.

5 Likes

You know what, I hope he does run in 2024… as an independent. It would fit his egocentrism, and more importantly, split the R voting bloc.

6 Likes

He was saying he thinks he should be allowed to run in 2024 weeks ago. For reasons that I think were unclear when he said it.

1 Like

Not to mention every Republican living or dead.

4 Likes

And nothing of value was lost.

7 Likes

I’d pay good money to be the one pressing the [Delete] button on Trump’s account as soon as Biden takes the oath.

1 Like

Do they even allow inmates to use Twitter? It seems like kind of a moot point here.

1 Like

The nice part is no one cares.

1 Like

This is exactly what should happen.

2 Likes

Even if he were to get prosecuted and convicted, Trump would plead bone spurs or fear of covid and manage to get home detention, where he could tweet to his heart’s content, or malcontent.

2 Likes

Nah, I don’t think so. They only let you get away with that kind of thing when you’re a star. They let you do anything. But he won’t be no star no more.