Twitter confirms Trump will lose "public interest protections" for tweets when Biden takes office

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/09/twitter-confirms-trump-will-lose-public-interest-protections-for-tweets-when-biden-takes-office.html

9 Likes

So how long will it take for Trump to be permanently removed? 10 minutes after Biden’s inauguration? More? Less?

26 Likes

They also exempt canduidates fior said offices. Given that Trump’s 2020 reelection campaign began in early 2017, I could imagine ruthless exploitation of this “loophole”

10 Likes

There has already been speculation that he would launch a campaign so that if criminal investigations are opened into him he can complain that they are politically motivated.

12 Likes

Just delete it. Make a statement that you are exercising your 1A right of free association and are making a decision as a private business to not provide your services to Donald Trump. Yes, you’ll lose a lot of bots and white guys with profile pictures of them wearing sunglasses in their cars, but just do it.

29 Likes

giphy (83)

16 Likes

No worries, he’ll just move over to Parler. Just like my Mom did.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Oh donnie, you belong on the biggest loser now. Being massively obese and a huge loser.

Stop playing the apprentice donnie, you’re fired. Now try to work off some of that gross orange slime.

6 Likes

He has to relinquish this one first.

8 Likes

I don’t trust this at all. Trump tweets get clicks. Twitter will find some new excuse to allow Trump to distribute his hate-filled, pathognomonic lies via tweets, that even ex-presidents’ tweets will merit “public interest” protections (aka private profit protections).

3 Likes

I look forward to the day when something that someone said on Twitter - no matter who they are - isn’t considered news.

15 Likes

If every “I’m leaving twitter for Parler, come join me and enjoy all the freedom” tweet from a conservative douche resulted in .00001 humans actually joining Parler, there would be approximately 18 billion humans using Parler by this point.

4 Likes

Exactly. Were his tweets (birtherism etc.) in the “public interest” before 2015?

9 Likes

There must be a value equation somewhere:

A. Trump tweets gain X amount of traffic, including all the people against him, minus the number of people KEPT AWAY from Twitter because of Trump’s presence, i.e. he keeps the platform at a certain size because people feel it’s toxic and they stay on Facebook or IG or someplace else or nowhere.

B. Trumplessness means Y number of new people will come to the Twitter platform, minus the Z number of people who will leave because Trump is gone.

If B had no possibility, they would not even be talking about this. So there is something to it. I cannot be more precise than this right now. But this is how it’s playing out in my analytic mind.

3 Likes

Well yeah I think he just conceded.

2 Likes

Are you just saying this or do you have a link?

1 Like

Well its this post:

If he wants to run in 2024, he must not be president now

2 Likes

Oh. I thought you meant he ACTUALLY conceded just now.

1 Like

I doubt that will actually happen but he seems to have accepted the situation.

1 Like