Twitter evicted from Colorado offices over unpaid rent

Originally published at: Twitter evicted from Colorado offices over unpaid rent | Boing Boing

10 Likes

stay classy will ferrell GIF

11 Likes

His mouth says “working from home is wrong” his eyes… I’m sorry his refusal to pay rent on offices says “please work from home”.

11 Likes

SF, Next!

Kick that muthafucka out!

16 Likes

I’m hoping that the one will make others more likely. :crossed_fingers:

15 Likes

:crossed_fingers:t5:

11 Likes

Good. Get out of my town and stay out, Musk.

8 Likes

May it also help change Musk from visionary techie to deadbeat who can’t even keep an office open in the minds of the investors he needs to prop himself up. He deserves to break every glass floor.

16 Likes

I’m waiting on when their data centers start going dark because they got shut off for lack of payment as well…

16 Likes

Does this mean that all their stuff just gets piled on the curb?

4 Likes

Considering one of the first groups he supposedly fired was the janitorial staff (they don’t write enough code I guess), most of their stuff will probably be shovelled into a dumpster due to being filthy.

On the other hand, one of the researchers I work with just bought a bunch of hardware to do analysis on twitter data… I need to go get that set up fast, so he can start analysing while it still exists.

8 Likes

Hoping it looks something like this:
Wile-Clouds-cartoon-fanatics-22391615-480-348
(image of wile coyote falling through stack of clouds)

11 Likes

Okay, now evict Twitter from its San Francisco office for non-payment of rent too.

6 Likes

I wonder if he ever paid the back rent on the SF offices… or what was owed on any number of the other offices around the world where they were evicted (and there’s still staff without any place to work). Or the unpaid back salaries and benefits promised to laid off workers that weren’t delivered. It feels like Musk is not bothering to pay a lot of overhead because he’s hoping to delay the costs long enough that, one way or another, he’ll not have to deal with them. I’m not sure if that means he thinks he’s got some sort of business invulnerability that allows him to act with impunity, or if he, too, doesn’t think Twitter will be around for much longer. (Or if he expects to lose Twitter and have the whole mess be someone else’s problem.)

5 Likes

You might not have to wait long:

9 Likes

No it says “please work for someone else”.

I wonder if eviction is less hassle (time or $) than terminating the lease.

Now it’s up to the landlord to clean everything out…

4 Likes

2 Likes

… but living at the office is fine :crazy_face:

5 Likes

I just read a fascinating Mastodon thread about how these offices in particular are not only abandoned, they were never occupied in the first place.

Sometime around late 2021, after Twitter Boulder had been comfortably working from home for about a year and a half, we got a presentation from REW about how much progress was being made on the new office location.

On June 13 2022, in the middle of all this uncertainty about the company’s future, the new office opened.
People still could not believe this happened. Even the people opening it were almost doing so ironically, sheepish grins glued on their faces.
It seemed like such a bizarre corporate mistake - that the decision had been made to build it and the penalties for backing out were severe enough that they just kept on plowing ahead for 2 years, even though the space was going to be empty.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out that this almost completely unoccupied 4-floor building located in the S’Park neighborhood of central Boulder, which had no rent paid on it for a year before the occupant was finally evicted, is over 65,000 square feet - nearly double the 36,000 square feet of the Walnut office and the equivalent of 80 apartments.
Presently, Boulder, Colorado is rated #7 for most expensive home prices in the country.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.