Twitter "pauses" its $8 bluecheck sale after a day of brand-impersonating chaos

The Weird Nerds diving in front of the bullet with “well, it’s only buhcuz all you meanies purposefully and gleefully stress-tested this idiotic thing that it collapsed” should be actually humiliating to Musk to a “please stop helping…” degree.

16 Likes

It would be nice to see Twitter folks unionize. He’s probably canned the execs with experience squashing unions

13 Likes

What did he expect? Freedom of speech and the truth are orthogonal at best. Freedom of speech that’s paid for is worse.

6 Likes

He expected what all these assholes expect when they do something like this.

Demosthenes and Locke, a la Enders Game. With him providing the role of one if not both of those posters.

12 Likes

The “great man” theory of history is taking an awful beating right now.

12 Likes

Huh. I’m still seeing them

1 Like

Exactly What We Expected

9 Likes

Yeah but it’s so, so worth it. A really rewarding use of all of our mental energy.

4 Likes

Obviously stupid idea was stupid, it turns out. I really, really don’t understand how he didn’t understand what the obvious consequences would be. I was shocked to read that he had a team of people he brought over from his other companies to advise him, so it’s not even just him clearly not thinking things through, it’s a whole team that’s out of their depth and/or being ignored by Musk.

Though, as a bonus effect, the brand impersonators, by pointing out uncomfortable truths about those brands’ products, caused a lot of companies’ stock to take serious nose-dives in the last day or so. Another bonus effect being that Musk is selling billions of dollars of Tesla stock to have money to burn through as he blindly stumbles his way towards destroying Twitter. I expect he’ll eventually end up back with the feature set Twitter had when he took over, but by that point he’ll have ruined the brand so badly that it’ll be done.

They haven’t even gotten into that issue yet. This particular disaster was all just based on a profound misunderstanding of verification checkmarks. (Although yeah, they turned it into a new moderation issue, to some degree, by taking something that was settled and required no oversight to something that suddenly required massive moderation to keep from exploding. While presumably having cut the moderation team.)

I’ve seen a number of people trying to explain Twitter (how it works and why his decisions wouldn’t work, etc.) to Musk in terms a 5 year old could understand. He still didn’t seem to get it, though.

And/or those with a healthy sense of self-preservation. Some of the people who quit seem to have had personal legal liability under the terms of an FTC agreement, and knew they couldn’t make good on it under current conditions. (Though a nice sanity test is if anyone takes those jobs, now.)

The company won’t last long enough for that, at current pace of collapse. (Though it depends how many billions Elon is willing to burn through keeping it afloat with no revenue.)

The myth of the meritocracy should be on life support at this point.

The rollback is probably just as broken as the rollout. (I’m not sure that everyone who paid even got their checkmarks before they started reversing course.)

13 Likes

27 Likes

twit
twit3

33 Likes

40 Likes

Just look at it!

31 Likes
13 Likes

its_beautiful

6 Likes

That makes one think. Has anybody ever seen these two in a room together?

7 Likes

No wonder the stock market is so volitale and effed up.

Are people really this stupid?

10 Likes

Who? Musk who lacked the imagination to foresee this obvious result to his $8chan idea, or the stock traders who believed Eli Lily was going to give out a life-saving drug for free?

I’m giving pass to the people with diabetes who hoped this meant they wouldn’t need to sell a kidney for another year of insulin.

14 Likes

It’s been reported that, unsurprisingly, he’s surrounded himself with yes men.

14 Likes

He has for sure.

Meanwhile, Omnicom, a huge global ad firm with clients like Apple and PepsiCo, registers its opinion on the work of Musk and his brain trust.

13 Likes