Twitter says it's "deeply sorry about the pain" Trump's tweets have caused

The president is not allowed to use my private property to do anything. He’s especially not entitled to the air, food and water on my property.

Am I denying him his rights?

7 Likes

This! Especially for unofficial stuff. There IS a potus twitter that can and has been used for sharing official information with the public. Trump doesn’t do that, he tweets out conspiracy theories from his personal twitter account. No reason not to kick him off, in that case.

11 Likes

Boing Boing should boycott Twitter. The worthwhile news seems to come in blog-form (and occasionally landscape-oriented videos) so I’m not sure we’d be giving up much.

Whatya say? Let’s stop tweeting.

7 Likes

Twitter: the Susan Collins of social media. “I am deeply troubled by his statements. I will of course do nothing because I’m sure he’s learned his lesson.”

I’m so tired of this folks. So tired of right-wingers being not only above the law or rules, but entirely immune to any application of them.

8 Likes

Ok, then forget getting Twitter to ban him. They have their reasons they should still be public. Whatever.

So how about a 24 hour delay between when he posts and when they go live? Without that immediate rage feedback, Trump will post far less crap.

What am I saying. Twitter lives off this twit’s tweets and the outrage they cause.

4 Likes

Hell, they’ll probably offer him a cushy executive position after he’s finally out of office and Duetsche Bank comes calling. He’ll need somewhere to run, and they’ll welcome him with open arms and wallets.

3 Likes

So true. I’m not going to hold my breath waiting for stories asking why 45 refers to anyone else as a psycho and a nut job.

5 Likes

Trump’s Tweets sell ads and ads are all they got. They’ll never give that up.

3 Likes

Another day, another bullshit tweet.

I was just talking with my wife. Imagine if Trump’s account was blocked. How many fake Trump accounts would pop up? It would be fun to watch.

As for their apology, if they aren’t willing to repair the damage and prevent further damage, they can stick it straight up their corporate-person’s ass.

Artist’s rendition of Twitter’s corporate-personhood:

I’ve also heard that excuse, and I agree with @alahmnat . It’s a private company. One that doesn’t want to lose him because he’s so lucrative for them.

If he’s protected on Twitter, can someone please locate for us Trump’s constitutionally protected Fetlife account?

7 Likes

No. It’s not. Never been on it. Never felt a need to.

I agree generally that Twitter would “win” any such case, but Trump is a pretty notorious for abusing of the legal system to fuck with his “opponents” and his willingness to go full court press rarely has anything to do with legal standing) Combine that withe his roster of hand-picked district judges, a toady FCC chairman and a congress half-stocked with supplicants and a pissed off Trump could make their lives hell for a long time.

P.S. that pink highlighting on “constitutional” is supposed to be the strikethru I added following your reply. has the “del” tag stopped working as intended?

1 Like

Fuckwittery.

2 Likes

people need to print out his most destructive tweets, make them into stickers, and slap those things all over his “presidential library” (yeah the man with the 5th grade reading ability is going to have a library to make bank off it, “so true” “so true” “in a short period of time”)

actually if people could laser project those tweets onto the walls of his library every night and eventually his grave, that would be fitting too

Works for Xeni. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’ve always used <strike> for striking out text in a post. “del” might have been re-styled to reflect typical diff usage, where a red background indicates text that was removed by an edit, while a green background indicates insertions (and seems to be paired with an “ins” tag).

In other Twitter news, I hope these trends are related:

5 Likes

that’s a cop-out though. they do have guidelines on how to handle and report the news. and there is a generally accepted idea that the news reports the facts, and there and fcc broadcast regulations to that effect ( this is why fox news is labeled as entertainment and commentary, not actual news regardless of their name. )

even so, the networks often let trump talk without counterfact. they gave him hours recently every day to say whatever popped in his head - biggest ratings, best money, same as twitter - and in very small commentaries wrung their hands wondering “whatever should we do.”

the world went wild when cnn finally put the smallest amount of fact based shade in a chyron at the bottom of the screen for goodness sake.

the difference between twitter and tv media is that they are different media. trump has direct access to one and not the other, but both facilitate his message for dollars and “note-worthiness”

i kind of think that twitter should treat force him to use the official white house one instead if they really want to privilege some particular “officialness”

1 Like

There’s a Markdown shortcut to <strike.> If you put two tildes on either side of whatever you want to strikethrough, it does the same thing. (Edit: And it combines nicely with <del.>)

~~strikethrough~~
strikethrough
<del>~~strikethrough~~</del>
strikethrough

Back on topic: I seriously doubt Twitter will ever do much about Trump. So many tweets are by him, about him, or both. Twitter wants craves that traffic, and the views that follow it. They will keep turning a blind eye to his many, many, many rule violations until it’s no longer profitable for them.

Which is sad, because I like Twitter. (A carefully curated feed helps.)

8 Likes

Nothing Twitter can do or will do will make anything better. Loosely moderated platforms had jerks before, have jerks now, and will have jerks in the future. The fact that we elected a big one doesn’t matter.

6 Likes