Twitter sinks in app store ranking and general findability after "X" rebrand

and painfully not all goals are good for everyone. in your personal example there’s a manager who’s trying to protect their staff. in other situations we have people who simply want to accumulate more stuff ( money, status, whatever ) and really don’t care if they hurt people in the process.

some goals are well intentioned; some goals are not. musk’s goal - for instance - seems to be to empower and amuse himself ( and seemingly his nazi fan boys. )

5 Likes

I thought that at some level Elno internally believed he was doing the right thing by trying to get everyone to talk to each other. But he has continually demonstrated zero clue about how real people are affected by toxic speech, how it drives some people to self harm, how it incites people to lash out, how it causes mental anguish and illness, and how hate groups thrive on producing toxic messages designed to cause those ill effects. He seems to simply equate trol-ling with joking, and if you can’t take a joke that’s your problem and he doesn’t care.

Every poor decision he’s made since taking over fits in line with that.

And I could at least believe that a billionaire could be that ignorant of us peasantry, and that divorced from reality, not caring in the least what impact is has on people. Not that it’s a defense, but in his mind he might really believe that “free speech” is a good without limits.

But then last week his moderators refused to shut down a twitter account named @GasTheMfJews, finding they hadn’t “broken our safety policies”. At that point Twitter/X crossed whatever lines were left and became an official hate group themselves.

(Currently the account is “temporarily” unavailable, which is an even more offensive posture as it implies there are some conditions where it should be allowed, they just haven’t figured out how to not ban it yet.)

So it’s time. Wind down your twitter accounts and do not return. It’s not just a Nazi bar, it’s now officially The Nazi Bar, home of genocidal bigots.

15 Likes

I’ve seen some people referring to X/Twitter in print as “Xitter”. . .

Which my brain wants to pronounce “shitter.”

6 Likes

the racist and sexist behavior that thrives at tesla; the way he’s treated ex-twitter ( and x ) employees; the way boring was used to hoover up actual public transportation dollars; and on.

i think he’s been showing who is for a while now, unfortunately.

he could choose to be a different person, but i think his money insulates him from having any reason to do so.

5 Likes

You are not alone.
That’s definitely part of the intention.
At least one other part is sidestepping filters with some deniability.

1 Like

I think he’s just the stupid version of a smart person.

2 Likes

tenor (1)

4 Likes

Betteridge’s law strikes again!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.