Twitter users hunt down Seattle Nazi and knock him out

No kidding:

1. Nazi-American male throws banana at African American male on public transit;
  2. African-American male calls police;
  3. Police see African-American male with banana and, logically, assume it’s a gun;
  4. African-American male shot dead;
  5. Nazi-American gets off at his appointed bus stop.
15 Likes

I like the idea of punching Nazis as much as the next guy, but this feels like alt-right trolling along the lines discussed here:

“By their own admission, the racist activists see attacks by antifa activists as useful to their cause. In hundreds of web postings examined by Salon, members of the Daily Stormer and many other websites such as 8chan’s /pol/ board have discussed at length their plans to infiltrate antifa social-media groups and use them to foment violence against right-wingers, in a strategy ultimately aimed at radicalizing “basic bitch” white conservatives.”

8 Likes

Hey, if calling out someone’s racism is somehow worse than being a racist…

Fallacy

10 Likes

That sounds reasonable until you consider the fact that our prison system harbors very powerful and influential white supremacy groups who will turn your short prison stay in to a death sentence.

Of course, that’s assuming you make it to trial in the first place. There is a good chance they will find and kill you before you make it to court if your name is made public. This is why antifa wears masks. Nazi’s get outed and lose their jobs. People who fight back get outed and lose their lives. Fix that problem before telling people they need to risk not only punishment by the state but also further punishment by white supremacist groups harbored by our tax money within the prison system.

I’ve never been one to be swayed by lazy slippery slope reasoning.

9 Likes

There was a case in Germany lately where a journalist live-tweeted pics of some people at a leftist demonstration, indicating they were right wingers. One of them was, I think. The other cases were a bit dubious, but AFAIR definitely no Nazis. It led to personal attacks and quite some stir at the event.

One major weekly newspaper/blog distanced themselves from this as a violation of journalistic ethics and stopped working with him.

It’s hard these days to defend people who actually smash fascists when it becomes a social media phenomenon.

I agree. In this case, it sounds like this Nazi scrub (redundant, I know) declined to file a complaint and scuttled away from the police. In the end, these clowns are all cowards with the limits-testing mentality of toddlers.

It’s a sad state of affairs when social media even ruins Nazi-punching.

5 Likes

I don’t know what the answer is.

Fascism is a detrimental threat that needs to be stopped, but I don’t think mob mentality and vigilantism is it.

14 Likes

I like Rick and Morty and Community as much as the next person, but I’m not taking my political cues from Dan Harmon, thanks.

2 Likes

Careful, this could be a direct quote from a fascist Facebook post. Do me a favour, and be specific, if you rant.

5 Likes

You know, it is quite remarkable when someone quotes your post, and still manages to completely misrepresent what was stated.

Hint: (lowering one’s self / being no better than) not equal to (espousing genocide)

1 Like

Yes, i’m sure the guy that went out in public wearing a SWASTIKA ARMBAND, should be given the benefit of the doubt.

13 Likes

I can’t and won’t cheer for vigilantes.

7 Likes

Tried and true! The KKK’s influence and popularity decreased when a “Superman” radio program writer exposed and ridiculed it for an audience of children.

12 Likes

You said “a Nazi” and “the Nazi”, implying a generic Nazi. The core idea of Nazism, like the fundamental voice of it, is scientific racism, white supremacy, and encouraging genocide. Is there some other part of being a Nazi that you were perhaps referring to that you were trying to equate punching them to? Because, if not, I’m not sure what else one is supposed to take from your statement. Clarity is always welcome. :sunflower:

EDIT: I keep rereading your post to see what I might have misunderstood. I cannot see what one could get from it other than you saying that “punching a Nazi” is somehow “no better than” Nazis.

Your outright dismissal without engagement of the ideas discussed are duly noted. Cheers!

7 Likes

Guess I missed the racial epithet, black man, banana, and the proximity of all three to the punched Nazi, at least in the video I saw. Care to post a link?

1 Like

Yep.

If one of the “Nazi-hunters” came across someone who (although not sporting Nazi regalia) looked like the Nazi in question – but who was actually some unfortunate innocent look-alike…

This is why we have courts.

10 Likes

I believe this is what they did with Clinton v Bernie. Things posted by supposed “Bernie Bros” seemed antithetical to most of his supporters but aligned perfectly with the anti hillary rhetoric that had preceded the Bernie phenomenon.

4 Likes

I may be mistaken on the race of the witness who had the banana/ape thrown at him. Sourced from here:

2 Likes

THIS.

I still think it helps to know there are people willing to risk their own safety to punch a Nazi. I like Nazis to be punched. I think its important that they don’t feel safe.

But as soon as many people (and I’m not taking three or four antifas as many) are involved, this gives me the creeps.

We need the antifa, perhaps. What we don’t need is lynchmobs of any kind. Sure as hell I will be on the steets when Nazis march. But I won’t burn stuff, throw stones or carry a stick unless I absolutely can justify this in the situation by an imminent threat.

There’s no one answer, but fascism, for sure, must be smashed.

7 Likes

Your source does not back up your version of the events:

One bystander, a white man, approached the neo-Nazi and yelled at him to “get the fuck out of our city.” The neo-Nazi then called the man an “ape and threw a banana at him,” Duff recalled. Within moments, another man ran from across the street and punched the neo-Nazi in the jaw, knocking him out.

1 Like