Twitter's anti-Nazi policies result bans on pictures of anti-Nazi books

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/12/good-ppl-on-both-sides.html

2 Likes

Moderation is hard, yo. If it’s not shitty algorithms swallowing content that isn’t meant to be moderated, it is shitty people custom crafting things that skirt the moderation.

5 Likes

Reminds me of the ‘adult content’ filters that remove legitimate information about birth control and such topics. Is this a feature or a bug?

Also: the problem is not Twitter’s moderation. The problem is Twitter.

6 Likes

It all makes sense when you remember that Jack is a fucking Nazi.

3 Likes

Why does this feel like an intentional and disdainful “that’s what you wanted, right?!? you greedy SJW pains-in-my-profit-margin”

11 Likes

It’s certainly the line right-wingers take in these topics, every time. Someone else can post the xkcd and Popper’s Paradox cartoons this time.

3 Likes

Moderation’s biggest problem is that it doesn’t scale well. Once your community includes everybody, then it’s impossible to exclude some viewpoint without alienating some members of the community.

Sure, let the pedo-nazis cry salty tears you say. But innocents always get caught in the crossfire. Moderation is war. War is hell.

2 Likes

@doctorow
Headline is probably missing a preposition and needs one replacing. Took me a while trying to parse it before it made sense.

“Twitter’s anti-Nazi policies result in bans of pictures of anti-Nazi books”?

Automated content moderation just doesn’t work. Moderating is one of the jobs bosses can’t buy robots to replace people with yet. Now if you just want a censor robots are extremely good at that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.