Why Jack hasn't banned Nazis on Twitter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/25/why-jack-hasnt-banned-nazis.html

10 Likes

I don’t think there’s been a platform (outside of niche discussion boards and explicitly white supremacist publications) that had this high of a Nazi-to-human ratio since the 1940s.

25 Likes

28 Likes

I wish Twitter did ban Trump. The explosion of impotent rage in the White House would be glorious.

36 Likes

Why?

Oh, I dunno…

31 Likes

Dorsey, like Thiel, is always happy to enable the alt-right. He’s a white guy with money, so what does he care as long as they promise to keep his taxes low.

And, as usual in these topics and also to emphasise that this is a choice made by Dorsey for his platform…

34 Likes

“We can frame this the opposite way, too: Filters designed to target ISIS overban, but mostly affect people without the political leverage to make this awkward for the company. https://t.co/nOdkcgaBEu

— Julian Sanchez (@normative) April 25, 2019

I think this sums it up pretty well. Overbanning POC’s is one thing, overbanning powerful white men? Horrors (Commence clutching of many pearls)

30 Likes

Well the criticism isn’t that these politicians would get “overbanned” it’s that they’ve clearly violated the terms of use as it is. And enforcement, especially if specific to white supremecy and right wing extremity, would lead to these people being legitimately banned.

It’s not that they’re afraid of accidentally banning Trump. It’s that they don’t want the baggage that comes with deliberately doing so. Because the guy has a earned a god damn ban.

23 Likes

Because then he’d have no one to follow?

10 Likes

Fuck that guy and his stupid nose ring.

16 Likes

1 Like

Nope, not on a “technical” level, more of an on a ideological level. The current GOP is Nazi-adjacent.

17 Likes

Maybe they could create a whitelist of Republican political accounts?

3 Likes

That sounds like a feature.

3 Likes

More like a whitesheetlist, amirite?

23 Likes

I think this forum as more or less come to the consensus that punching Nazis is A-Ok. The only reason it hasn’t extended to douchebags wearing nose rings is that a lot of otherwise innocent people might get swept up in the punching.

3 Likes

This is not minesweeper. That is just being a NAZI with one extra click.

We would see exactly how much the party of small government supports 0 regulations then.

Spoiler: They don’t really.

7 Likes

because Jack’s a Dick?

2 Likes

Or to phrase it another way, some Republican politicians are some of the white nationalists who would be banned.

7 Likes