Twitter's got a new troll stick

Here’s something that I have not seen discussed anywhere, or by anyone.

I expect this to be abused especially by fake grassroots PR campaigns such as Nestlé water, the Keystone Pipeline, and other controversial subjects where the “conversation needs to be moved”. PR firms set up fake group websites, Facebook pages and Twitter. Twitter was the only place you could talk back to these agenda-driven PR firms. Their own sites have no commenting, critical Facebook comments are promptly removed and the user is blocked.

With .@ mentions, you could at least know that people searching could find a rebuttal to endlessly funded PR-speak. Twitter had been hiding interactions behind more and more clicks, and I fully expect that PR firms will use their many history-filled shill accounts, and purchased user blocks to destroy any “challenges to the narrative.”

Disappointing to those who struggle against the media blitz that a billion dollar multi national can afford.

1 Like

How would that even be possible? The OP is talking about the abusive twitterer being invisible to you, the individual who reported it.

And I’m going to go out on a limb here that a tweet critical of a fake grassroots PR campaign is not going to be deemed “offensive” unless it’s full of rape/death/other threats.

So … are you saying that the PR website would tag you as “offensive” and then no longer see your tweets? If so, what’s the big deal? It’s not like they are likely to engage with you instead? And it’s not like your tweet is invisible to anyone else searching that hashtag?

So … you’re still culture-jamming their signal, the only difference is they can choose to ignore you more effectively?

3 Likes

Forkboy is full of scenarios that are not impossible, but they require a lot of factors to be in alignment. They’re implausible to succeed without all the people who currently scrutinize the distortion of media and public spaces to not pay any attention, be unable to publish blog entries, etc., etc.

Twitter could decide it’s beneficial for anti-brand tweets to be suppressed in people’s timelines (but not deleted), but the idea nobody would notice seems farfetched when much more complicated nuance is picked up today.

1 Like

This is about Harassment and Death threats through Social Media; Cyberbullies that infested the entire internet. As much as I agree with your concern, those were just Advertisements and PR crap that’s have little to no negative effects. Same with AR and other Marketing ploys.

Hell, a transgendered Gamecube/Wii Emulator Developer COMMITED SUICIDE thanks to this.

2 Likes

I think it’s a more generalized form of “I have these totally abstract high level conceptual concerns about something that is of demonstrated practical use!”

Yes, I never saw that one coming! Oh wait…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.