Two examples of excellence from Japan

Oh, yes! Surely!

4 Likes

Never tried that one. Inspired to do so now. Thx.

3 Likes

when I was in japan i saw a big fascist march where a bunch of old assholes were loudly denying ww2 warcrimes through megaphones and nobody was opposing it in any way

A few years ago I walked past The Whisky Shop in downtown Osaka. Their entire window display was a single bottle of Yamazaki cherry cask special reserve that had been bottled in the year of my birth. I stopped for a second, stared at and coveted it for as long as I thought decent, then realised it didn’t have a price tag and walked away.

That was the exact moment I realised that no matter what I do with my life, I will never be that kind of whisky drinker…

12 Likes

Am I doing this right?

16 Likes

Mostly because the Uyoku are a bunch of boring, irrelevant wankers that no one takes seriously. What’s your point?

1 Like

I was super excited. until I realised the label does not read “coffee grain whisky”.

5 Likes

I think Korea (?) is giving them a run for their money:

2 Likes

I could do this all day.

17 Likes

Imgur

11 Likes

Good things from Japan
One example is sushi
You guess the other

3 Likes

things i appreciate…

4 Likes

also, things that make me giggle…

5 Likes

9 Likes

5 Likes

Another example of excellence are Junji Ito’s horror comics. For instance, if you actually listen to the endless apologies of the fellow on the left, Azawa Yuuma, your brain will begin to melt. Then, his sister will laugh and eat up the goo. Be extra careful around those apologies, folks!

4 Likes

Well, the announcer is Korean, and the counter’s assistant speaks Korean, but the money counter speaks Chinese.

It’s an international effort?

There are a lot of things that Japanese do great. At the heart of it is salient point of japanese culture saying if you do something you should be giving your whole.

That said, this is one of the myriad examples of useless work the Japanese do: however accurate she may be, she WILL make mistakes that will force her to redo the whole stack, when entering the numbers into a spreadsheet would allow for reliability and the possibility to check where the error might be.
It reminds me of a Japanese friend of mine who worked in a bank back in the 90’s. At the end of the day, they had to count the banknotes. By hand. Twice. While they had a machine that did it much faster with near perfect accuracy.

The problem is that the people in charge just can’t accept letting go of old ways of doing things, so office work only change when a manager finally retires (if the one taking their place isn’t close to retiring themselves).

2 Likes

7 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think this is for efficiency in any way. It might be to keep someone employed whose work has been obsoleted, and/or because her presence on the team is seen as good for morale, because the company actually cares about the well-being of its workers. I’m not sure if the things I learned about Japanese business 15-20 years ago still apply today or if they’ve mostly fallen down the same drain US business management has, though.