Two Tesla drivers lost their steering wheel mid-drive, prompting an investigation

Just outsource the driving to someone else, have some person in another country wirelessly drive your car for pennies. Who needs self driving when you can get the poors to do it for you.

19 Likes
8 Likes

Did they unknowingly get the Formula 1 steering wheel option?

4 Likes

3 Likes

Au contraire:

5 Likes

8 Likes

Fortunately Teslas can be equipped with an entirely safe ‘full self-driving’ mode for when little things like this happen. For just a large sum of money, ‘full self-driving’ gives you complete peace of mind - right up until the moment the battery explodes.

4 Likes

10 Likes

And this one is loose bolts in the back seat

11 Likes

I am really surprised that he hasn’t done that yet, but still calling it self drive. Just release it in a few cities that have good cell connections.

5 Likes

the latency would be a killer problem. and i mean that literally unfortunately

8 Likes

Like that’s stopped his current implementation.

7 Likes

PEBKAC existed long before computers did…

3 Likes

Interviewer: So what happened in this case?
Tesla Spokesperson: Well, the steering wheel fell off in this case, by all means, but it’s very unusual.
Interviewer: But why did the car’s steering wheel fall off?
Tesla Spokesperson: Well, the driver turned it.
Interviewer: The driver turned it?
Tesla Spokesperson: The driver turned the wheel!
Interviewer: Is that unusual?
Tesla Spokesperson: Oh yeah! On the road? Chance in a million!

15 Likes

Tesla will now claim that the car was bored with its user ignoring all the wonderful features supplied, and decided to do a Clippy (but with an added incentive):

“It looks like you’re trying to drive manually, would you like to activate full self-driving mode?”

8 Likes

I’ve read about using UI to “nudge” people into trying certain features, but this seems like a pretty extreme way to encourage people to use “self-driving” mode…

Given the way Elno works at Twitter (and this is apparently true at his other companies, too), I’d not be surprised if he introduced a last-minute change to the manufacturing process on a whim and this was the result.

8 Likes

I’m picturing him saying “Just give the main steering bolt a quick flick so that it spins into place purely on momentum”
“but that isn’t secure, we need to torque-”
“I don’t care! it looks cooler that way.”

6 Likes

(Careening off the roadway, steering wheel in hand)

WITNESS ME!

8 Likes

The little dirt track car my family had when I was a teens was like that. It didn’t have a driver’s seat so much as it had a little cockpit built specifically to the driver (my uncle.) The steering wheel off the rod with a good pull, but it was attached with a very prominent cotter pin (cabled to the wheel to make it much harder to lose) to keep it from doing that!

And before anyone asks …

No. Not this Cotterpin!

10 Likes

… a detachable steering wheel could be a formidable security feature :thinking:

7 Likes