Two thieves in custody after failed Texas bulldog puppy heist

Originally published at: Two thieves in custody after failed Texas bulldog puppy heist | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Are puppies in that situation already chipped? The frenchie craze has gotten out of hand. They seem like they have nice personalities but with all the health defects of like a pug.

7 Likes

Lol PT Cruiser.

6 Likes

PT stands for “Puppy Thief.”

7 Likes

Silver PT cruiser with no plates. Nice inconspicuous vehicle choice.

4 Likes

I think French Bulldogs are literally “AWWWWWWWWWW” on four legs, but I’ll never own one because I’d be afraid it’d be 'napped at any moment. Plus there’s the health issues. And the fact that I don’t have time for a dog.

But those little piggie grunts they make…ADORABLE!

5 Likes

How much is that doggy in the window?
Woof! Woof!
The one with the… HOW MUCH!!! ARE YOU HAVING FECKIN’ A GIRAFFE!?
Woof? Woof?

7 Likes

Thanks for a genuine LOL. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

aww come on – no mugshots? this one time i would like to know what real crime kingpins look like

Theft rings in the UK will crudely swap out chips.

Dunno if that happens in the US, but there is no physical reason it couldn’t be happening, not at $10,000 per dog.

I’m not a fan, though, of deliberately breeding dogs with massive health problems. Short muzzled dogs overheat easily, among other health issues.

2 Likes

3 Likes

When they first hit the pet market in a big way, French Bulldogs were noted for not having any health issues as were common with so many other purebred dogs. Of course it became a ‘breed them as fast as you can’ scenario and the inbreeding flaws started to show up big time.

7 Likes

When does the Dreamworks movie come out?

There just shouldn’t be such a thing as a $10,000 dog unless it’s a game show.

Dog thieves? Better not ever let me catch you.

1 Like

“Fekkin’ Bruges!”
:rofl: :skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes

I also learned today that pet shops in Texas can still sell puppies. That should stop.

1 Like

The exaggerated body features (brachycephaly, etc) have caused problems long before the breed became fashionable. Their congenital deformities are features, not bugs.

Breathing problems are the grunts.

I think they are AWWW and SQUEEE, but their existence is a pure struggle to breathe properly and live a dogs life (either way you take that).

To be honest, I’m not sure how to take their existence as a novelty pet and as a living being on this planet. Humans created them because they are adorable and love their owners but have congenital conditions bread into them. I love German Shepherds too but their breading gives them weak hind legs and pelvises.

This is a very tricky thing to consider with regard to genetic engineering on the basis of what ‘WE’ want from a dog.

Maybe let them go feral and and it will sort itself out, but the carnage on indigenous birds and animals is at stake here too.

2 Likes

I’m not at all shocked to learn that there are $10k puppies, only that someone’s local retailer stocks them. I rather doubt anyone spending in that price range is doing it for anything other than conformation showing, and I am fairly certain that very very few dogs in the show ring were ever handed to anyone from behind a cash register.

2 Likes