Two-year-old solves the classic trolley problem by killing everyone

Our present to the future.

3 Likes

While funny, if one were to seriously consider the answer it’s not entirely crazy. It removes the dilemma of choice by simplifying the outcome that there can’t be a winner in the situation and makes it fair for all the potential victims.

5 Likes

I hear that letGodSort runs in O(1) time!

7 Likes

The kid knows that the toys don’t die when the train hits them. He can put them straight back on the tracks and ‘smash’ them again and again.

I hope his Dad doesn’t overanalyse all his play time like this. Poor kid.

7 Likes

Only if “Kind of” means “entirely”.

1 Like

It does—even without amortizing! But it requires some very specific hardware. Not easy to find.

1 Like

26 Likes

Some people just want to see the world burn uh-oh.

8 Likes

Kid’s going to grow up to be an ethics professor. Possibly a fat one, if I know how this problem goes.

3 Likes

True story, I believe: a married couple, both child psychologists, had one of their grad students visiting them at home, and the student decided to do some impromptu experiments with their youngest kid. Sits on the floor, plays, asks “Which of these containers do you think there’s more in?” (Classic demonstration of “conservation” - that kids under a certain age don’t recognise that the same volume of stuff IS the same if it’s poured into a different shaped container.)

The kid points to one. “That one.” Looks the grad student in the eye. “But you shoud ask my brother, Henry - he’s got conservation already.”

18 Likes

He just pulled an evil Kobayashi Maru.

8 Likes

Yeah, makes me want to start the second American Revolution to save the country.

Now I want grandkids. I just gotta wait a good 10-15 years.

1 Like

Where’s the gift return counter?

1 Like

Well, Innocent III was a right bastard, who St. Lutgarda saw burning in hell, but that quote’s not his.

It was Arnaud Alaric, a Cistercian abbot and even more evil prick, during the Albigensian Crusade, when sacking the French town of Béziers.

When they discovered, from the admissions of some of them, that there were Catholics mingled with the heretics they said to the abbot “Sir, what shall we do, for we cannot distinguish between the faithful and the heretics.” The abbot, like the others, was afraid that many, in fear of death, would pretend to be Catholics, and after their departure, would return to their heresy, and is said to have replied “Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius - Kill them all for the Lord knoweth them that are His” (2 Tim. ii. 19) and so countless number in that town were slain. --as reported by Caesarius of Heisterbach, (ca. 1180 – ca. 1240)

10 Likes

Quite stunningly shockingly bloody and brutal that one was. Haven’t read about it in decades.

2 Likes

He’s definitely on a track to upper management.

8 Likes

The trolley problem is about choice, isn’t it? Isn’t it, you can do nothing and five people will die, or you can decide that one person dies, making yourself directly responsible for their death. If you can move the person on the left, no one has to die, divert the train to the left. I thought that’s what he was going to do. Killing all of them does eliminate the dilemma, I suppose.

But when you have it, you can also use it to make an apple pie.

2 Likes

Until tonight I had thought it was Oliver Cromwell, in a particularly callous disregard for even his own troops.

1 Like