Tyke, a minimal notepad app for the MacOS menu bar

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/02/tyke-a-minimal-notepad-app-fo.html

2 Likes

Why is it better than hitting cmd-shift-Y for a note?

I can’t not.

I did not know about that. Thanks!

I usually use the classic Notes app as it synchronises automatically with my iPhone.

Doesn’t do anything for me. Is this something that only works in a specific text editor, perchance?

1 Like

It should make a new sticky note. Maybe your minimal keyboard doesn’t have a cmd key?

The Notes app has come a looong way. It’s pretty much good enough for me to get rid of Evernotes now (my needs are fairly simple).

2 Likes

It took me a few tries to make it work: You have to highlight some text first, then press shift-cmd-y.

3 Likes

Ahah! If only I had known that I could do almost the same thing by employing a peculiar and restrictive set of interactions with an ugly text editor whose key user interface metaphor replicates the physical clutter of a paper-strewn desk.

2 Likes

I like it.

Nor for me; just an alert “bonk.”

Buyer beware: 10.12 and later only.

For those of us who refused to update lest we fuck everything else up, we shall continue on with too many scraps of digital paper…

1 Like

Sheesh. I’d completely forgotten about stickies. The last time I used them was when I had a Mac SE 30 five or six employers ago.

It worked on Yosemite after I highlighted some text. Good old CMD-SHFT-Y… Y? Y not?

im going to write tyke down for when i get around to updating…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.