Type like a hacker

Originally published at: Type like a hacker | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Nice.

Here’s another one that I like, which includes various floating windows as well.

5 Likes

I just saw Glass last night and they used something like this for the nonsensical code one of the characters typed.

Also

resembles a green-on-black terminal of yore

that’s how my terminals look in the present day.

7 Likes

Great memories of introducing that to my boys in a hotel lobby in Germany several years ago. We were waiting to check out and I convinced them I could get our rooms for free. Once the joke went through, they had great fun playing with it and still show their mates hackertyper.net

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Not to be confused with Hypertacker, where anywhere you click on screen it tacks a randonly generated conspirator to a web of red strings…

2 Likes

Green is good, but it wasn’t the only color.

2 Likes

I just re-watched Swordfish the other night. The disjointed dialogue about “cracking 128 bit encryption” and the “DS3 connection allows them to access to up to 7 networks simultaneously” always makes me smile.

7 Likes

I used Hacker Typer for this short I did with my wife and daughter a little over a year ago

3 Likes

I’m not feeling very hackery today…

hackertype screenshot

7 Likes

Um, what did I just do? There’s an FBI van outside my house now.

9 Likes

Now I know what’s on this cat’s screen. All this time I thought kitteh was just shitposting!

11 Likes

The best description I read of that movie was “like something created by 13-year-old boys with unlimited resources.” The dialogue is ridiculous, the plot nonsensical and the hacking stuff is silly even by Hollywood standards, but it had some really big explosions and Halle Berry’s boobs.

4 Likes

resembles a green-on-black terminal of yore

Reminds me of my first computing experience - on an IBM 3270 screen. Which had a keyboard design that I still think stands up with the best of today (as long as you like big chunks of solid metal).

2 Likes

The Model M? They were so sweet. I could type for hours on one, the spring return, that was craftsmanship.

1 Like

I assumed “type like a hacker” meant CSI-style tandem hacking

8 Likes

Before even the Model M keyboards. See what I mean about chunks of metal? The keys were solid and the spring return was smooth and strong.

4 Likes

You’re all doing it wrong! Like this:

giphy

6 Likes

We weren’t lucky enough to have those, we had Volker-Craigs. Nice!

1 Like

Well, it was at IBM. :wink:

1 Like

I was an amber terminal girl, back in the day. But green plays into the cliche better, I must admit!

1 Like