Typing on this vintage Japanese typewriter looks like a lot of work

Originally published at: Typing on this vintage Japanese typewriter looks like a lot of work | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I hope no-one pinned their future employment prospects on being able to use this machine.

For common uses, each key = one word, so I think overall speed could get close to a western typist’s. I’d also guess that the most common ideograms are grouped together, further improving efficiency.

Here’s a different style I found:

2 Likes

Chinese typewriter designers did that.

According to Thomas Mullaney, it is possible that development of modern Chinese typewriters in the 1960s and 1970s influenced the development of modern computer word processors and even affected the development of computers themselves. In the 1950s, typists came to rearrange the character layout from the standard dictionary layout to groups of common words and phrases.[12] Chinese typewriter engineers were trying to make the most common characters be accessible at the fastest speed possible by word prediction, a technique used today in Chinese input methods for computers, as well as in text messaging in many languages.[7][11] This arrangement was called the lianxiang (“connected thought”) layout, similar to predictive text and sped typing speeds from about 20 words per minute to around 80.[12]

4 Likes

Imagine creating a TPS report on that fine piece of machinery.

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.