433% mechanical keyboard

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/17/433-mechanical-keyboard.html

1 Like

4 33, eh? Is it really maximalism if it pays homage to the anthem of minimalism?

11 Likes

As someone who suffers from sound sensitivity disorder (misophonia) just the sight of this thing makes my skin crawl. The clickity click-click, click-clickity clickity … ugh!

2 Likes

24 function keys? What am I, a peasant?

3 Likes

e51eb5674451d6781de65a3056063028693e8c14_2_500x500

25 Likes
7 Likes

Linotype machines had amazing keyboards, and were themselves amazing.

12 Likes
7 Likes

To everything there is a keyswitch; and a modifier to every purpose under the heaven.

3 Likes

We’re gonna need more monkeys.

9 Likes

Uh, is there a space key or enter key on this keyboard? It’s a little hard to see from the picture, but if the enter key is there it is not obviously marked.

I wonder if a whole bunch of those unmarked grey keys are mapped to space.

2 Likes

We’re going to need a bigger cat.

17 Likes

Google Japan says “hold my beer.”

1 Like

5 Likes

Oh Linotype machines are possibly one of the greatest inventions of print and media. They’ve gotta be in the Top 10 list of greatest inventions.

(edit) I watch and re-watch all of the Linotype video on YouTube over and over again. Can’t get enough of them.

Johannes Gutenberg: behold, I have invented metal based movable type!
Bob Linotype: hold my beer, Johannes.

5 Likes

In a thousand years, no matter what technological innovations, we will still have QWERTY.

4 Likes

1 Like

This one (from your link) would actually save me a lot of time:

5 Likes

I want all of that on a numpad with a \LaTeX-lock key.

1 Like

When I was about 12, I got to see a Linotype in operation and it made a HUGE impression. It’s like a steam locomotive, with a huge number of exposed, moving parts. Interestingly (to me anyway) like a typewriter, the keyboard layout is a side effect of its mechanics rather than an attempt to improve the user interface. Typewriter keyboards were designed so that letters that were frequently used in succession were not close to each other so that the typebars wouldn’t jam. Linotypes were designed so that the most frequently used letters were on the left so that those matrices would be the first ones back in the magazine so that you were less likely to run out of them.

3 Likes