U.S. airstrike hits Doctors Without Borders hospital, killing 9

[Read the post]

1 Like

No story below the headline?

5 Likes

in a way no further story needed (maybe except the “it will be investigated” spiel by the US government)

eta: NY Times

2nd eta: Guardian’s coverage seems to be very exhaustive

• The MSF informed both the Afghan and US forces about the coordinates of the facilities
  • At least 20 staffers are dead, so far no one is aware of the total head count

3rd edit: press release of MSF, known casualties are 7 patients and 12 staff members.

An unnamed US military told ABC that it could have been an AC-130 (slow and low flowing gunships designed for precise ground attacks)

10 Likes

Damn it.

6 Likes

Well that sucks. Things like that shouldn’t happen with the tech to drop laser guided bombs etc.

Things like that shouldn’t happen because we shouldn’t be playing goddamn world cop.

We’ve been in Afghanistan for 13 years. Does anybody seriously think just a few more oughta do the trick?

21 Likes

Ah yes, world famous military intelligence… Ranked right up there with groups such as the Senate ethics committee.

6 Likes

I just set up a monthly donation to Doctors Without Borders, if you’d like to do the same, you can use this url: https://donate.doctorswithoutborders.org/monthly.cfm

7 Likes

I believe there’s already a quote from the government: “Oops.” The spokesperson then went on to shrug.

2 Likes

Meh. I’m already accustomed to them killing innocent brown people. It’s sad, but I’m not going to pretend it was any more the last straw than the last fifty.

2 Likes

But they harbored Bin Laden! If America doesn’t make them not do that, they might do that!

1 Like

They probably wish they kept their pieholes shut about Russia allegedly bombing civilians in Syria less then 48h before.

I often wonder if someone in the US admin realizes their continued hypocrisy or if there is some “Left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing”- phenomenon at work.

7 Likes

More of a “left hand doesn’t care what the right hand is doing” phenomenon, really.

6 Likes

No. See. That was random carpet bombing and this is targeted and … Oh F** all, carry on.

2 Likes

All those other U.S. airstrikes were also killing people, of course.

a lot more than nine people

1 Like

MSF closes the hospital.

Sincere thanks to all armed parties involved.

2 Likes

Wanted to post that, all ready done. Thanks. Nothing more to say.

(edit) An other link: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/10/msf-medical-charity-leaves-kunduz-air-strike-151004100337615.html

1 Like

4 Likes

It ain’t the tech that didn’t do its job.
It did.

1 Like

MSF bombing:

Afghan forces asked for air strike at Kunduz hospital, US General says

Edit, remembered old nearly forgotten html thingies, post looks neather this way.
The message however…