U.S. bans travel to North Korea by American citizens

Ooooh so THAT’S what the KKK is… Huh seems North Korea is really popular in the south.

1 Like

There’s absolutely no question whether ROK/US/Japan will win against North Korea. They have a big army, but their economy is beyond crap, they have problems with starvation, their equipment mostly ranges from ‘dated’ to ‘obsolete’, and so on and on.

The only question (assuming we don’t get Korean War 2, with China joining in the fighting on NK side, which I think is pretty unlikely) is how messy and costly it will be, and how much damage will South Korea suffer. (A lot of Seoul, for example, is within range of North Korean artillery emplacements. In case of a war, that’s going to hurt.)

Well, that and the rebuilding will be a massive undertaking. Even without the inevitable war damage, you’d have to basically bulldoze lots of North Korean infra, cities etc. and rebuild half of the country from the ground up, while there are millions of starving North Koreans you have to find food, medicine, shelter and something to do. And nobody wants to be the guy who ends up responsible for that.

As I understand it, the NK artillery threatening Seoul is basically a few thousand pre-targeted howitzers buried in concrete bunkers with just their muzzles poking out. Their first volley will level Seoul.

There is no realistic way to neutralise them. If war begins, Seoul is gone.

I couldn’t finish “Escape From Camp 14” after learning that the author admitted to fabricating some of its content. I would read a horrible experience that he conveyed and then immediately wonder if that was one of the experiences he made up. Back to the library it went.

1 Like

Coordinated first strike via the air and/or cruise missiles. Of course, you run the risk of missing some of them and getting Seoul shelled.

Still, like I said, the reason no one moves on NK is because China is still propping it up. If NK over steps, it will have to be them to put them in their place. I think, though, they aren’t completely bonkers. The guy in power likes being alive.

1 Like

Yep…who knew huh…nasty little creeps

1 Like

And given that South Korea have been able to look at the less dire reunification of Germany and see all the problems that’s caused for 26 years, I don’t think they’re in any rush, rhetoric about reuniting the Korean people aside.

1 Like

I was in Seoul right around the time the NORKs sunk that frigate. It was weird how calm (resigned?) everyone was: basically, the attitude was “Yes, of course it was the North. We know. They know we know. We know they know we know. But the government won’t say anything conclusively about it for months in order to deescalate the situation.”

You don’t have that many attack planes, and each smart bunker-buster bomb or cruise missle costs vastly more than the 1950’s tech howitzer it’s hitting. And it would require a perfect surprise first strike, which ain’t gonna happen if a few hundred A-10s are on their way in. Most of the USAF isn’t stealthy.

A nuke might do it, but only maybe. A fair few would get a shell off before they died.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.