U.S. government to shut down today unless last-minute deal reached

And now there’s a report of a democrat pulling the fire alarm to delay a vote.

Not helpful.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d take that rumor with a grain of salt. In a room full of delinquent 7th graders, why would we believe the adult(s) in the room pulled a fire alarm?

13 Likes

I effing hate this shit.
You’re running a nation, people, not a pay-day loan office.

17 Likes

The tl;dr as I understand it. The bill has no Ukraine aid but also no extra border funding. Jeffries stalled for an hour to give Dems time to actually to read the bill. It gives the house 45 days to come up with a budget. Because the resolution bypassed the normal rules process it needed a 2/3 majority and required Dem buy off. Lots of R’s voted no.

Now the senate has to approve, which McConnell can easily scuttle since it needs 60 votes so some R’s need to get on board.

6 Likes

The vote’s over. They got a short-term spending bill out the door (with no Ukraine funding) and adjourned. It’s on the senate now.

that’s what that was! Got it! Thanks!

I don’t think he will, but we’ll see.

90 voted no, which isn’t quite the majority of them (215 of them?)… 1 democrat voted no.

9 Likes

His chief of staff seems to have confirmed something.

8 Likes

Nope, but it’s a lot considering it’s their damn bill.

9 Likes

Yeah, it is… but we also know that there is a wing of the house GOP that is purely nihilist at this point. I’m just glad that McCarthy saw sense and reached out to the Democrats instead of stubbornly trying to get the fascists in line. They were never going to get in line…

Here is NPR’s analysis, for some extra added context…

12 Likes

What does that mean? Are they saying he unintentionally set off an alarm going through an emergency exit or something?

2 Likes

Seems to be?

3 Likes

Yeah, he did the bare minimum effort. If he wasn’t so worried about losing the gavel and trying to play 4-D chess to keep his job while placating his fractured caucus, we could have solved this months ago. I guess he finally realized that a shutdown will likely hurt R’s way more than it’ll hurt D’s. I’m sure many R’s will say that he acquiesced or caved or whatever because who care about compromise?

This whole process has been just stupid. Nobody on the R side is really taking any sort of principled stand or anything here. They are just trying to burn it all down.

10 Likes

Season 1 Bingo GIF by Paramount+

And we’re gonna get to do this all over again in about 45 days… right before the holidays.

14 Likes

“We’re tired of fucking around with these whack jobs…” - Rep. Don Bacon (R-Neb.)

Join the club Don!

7 Likes
5 Likes

What’s happening in the senate now? Looks like nothing. :thinking:

:woman_shrugging:

Did I miss the vote while I was out taking my daily constitutional? Or is it gonna be the senate that will fuck us all over?

3 Likes

Sounds to me like what happens when some college student wants to avoid a final exam.

I miss the old days of passing budgets like responsible adults.

1 Like

I’m subject to the call of the chair right now.

3 Likes

Leonardo Dicaprio Summer GIF

2 Likes

McCarthy home movie of yore?

2 Likes

… no idea, but much funnier than the other gif I was going to post

4 Likes