U.S. now has greatest number of confirmed coronavirus deaths in the world, surpassing Italy

1 Like

And less than 2 in Canada. We must be doing something right.

We should be talking about per capita when it come to comparing deaths and cases . Just like every time Trump mentions we are testing more than anyone it means nothing when compared to per capita.

7 Likes

it’s still a milestone that’s worth noting. with deaths still rising, a milestone like that helps people weigh the magnitude of the problem and maybe work harder to bend the curve down

1 Like

Give us three weeks…

via: An interactive visualization of COVID-19 | 91-DIVOC

edit: Or two. I was going with the hyper-optimistic 3-day trend, switch to 1-week trend and it’s 14-days out to surpass everyone. And that trend is only going to get worse as our hospitals start to get overloaded.

Keep in mind, we haven’t had to resort to the triage levels that Italy has been in for weeks. These are stats with a ventilator being available for anyone, anywhere, that needs it. :open_mouth:

7 Likes

I hope not! And that projection line for the US does seem to be awefully straight, especially given the curve of the line it’s continuing, and the curve of every other country…

1 Like

Sorry but this posting is 100% useless and BB should be ashamed. Why? Because it quotes PURE volume and not per capita. Um, the US is approx. 4-5 times the size, population wise, than Italy. So…when we get to about 100K deaths v. Italy’s 20K death, please wake me up.This posting is just pure useless titillation. And trust me, I am a BB fan. STOP IT. I am a former journalist (and as you can guess, there is a reason for that). Why do so many current journalist HATE stats and clearly never took that course in college in conjunction with their major?

3 Likes

And you know that China’s population is about 1.4 billion, the epidemic started there earlier, and the number of reported deaths there is lower than in the US. The US seems to have done a worse job fighting COVID-19 than some other countries. This is news.

12 Likes

But they’re all #1

In Freedom

1 Like

China has 3x our population and 1/6th the number of deaths

South Korea (1/7th our population) got struck by the disease at the same time as we did and their economy is up and running right now and had 100x fewer deaths

Flatfooted Federal actions by our Fuckup in Chief has led to a grossly disproportionate level of death in the US which continues to rise. Especially in areas that are closely aligned to him politically.

10 Likes

I totally agree, that headline is pure sensationalism. I’m a bit worried people are doing anything they can to make the crisis seem worse just so they’ll have something, anything to stick on Trump. Who of course will successfully dodge the blame in his supporters’ eyes no matter what happens.

CNN also seems to disagree with you:

5 Likes

[face palm]

2 Likes

The US is home to less than 5 percent of the world population but accounts for more than 20 percent of confirmed Covid-19 deaths. The real number is likely much higher because the Federal government botched multiple opportunities to make testing more widely available. The number of Americans killed in this pandemic is already at least half the number of Americans killed in the Vietnam war and the end is nowhere in sight. New York alone has lost more than three times as many citizens to the pandemic than they lost to 9/11.

A very large portion of those deaths are directly attributable to Trump’s poor judgement and inaction in the face of this pandemic. The successes we have had in fighting the spread are almost exclusively due to others in government (including state governors) who took in upon themselves to enact policies that Trump tolerated at best and vehemently condemned at worst.

That’s not people digging for “something, anything to stick to Trump.” It’s a damning indictment of an executive who is incredibly unsuited to lead our country through this crisis.

17 Likes

Maybe. But the per capita infection rate is still the only sensible way to compare the infection rate of one country to another, especially two countries of such different population sizes as Italy (60,000,000) and America (328,000,000). When someone compares the two countries infection rates any other way it’s a bit suspect. And it’s also suspect when someone posts a projected infection rate graph that blatantly ignores previous trends. And besides, pointing the finger at Trump has never ever produced anything productive.

2 Likes

What the actual fuck with that comment.

There’s no need to “look” for shit sticking to 45; he’s been completely covered in it and spreading it everywhere since he took fucking office.

13 Likes

Absolving Trump of responsibility for the results of his actions has never produced anything productive.

12 Likes

True, but it all sounds like crying wolf at this point to the people who don’t already agree with us.

And fudging the importance of stats sure doesn’t help.

I’m not trying to convince the Trump cultists of anything anymore. They’re too far gone to reach.

I’m stating the situation as it is today. And I’m trying to convince everyone else exactly how high the stakes are for getting that orange SOB out in 2020.

8 Likes

Me too, except that personally I don’t think his supporters are beyond reach, at least not all of them. For whatever it’s worth I know a lot of people who voted for Trump. Most aren’t exactly what I’d call “Trump supporters”, but still they voted for Trump, mostly because the Republicans do a better job of appealing to people who live in the country. And they’re as open as anyone else to a reasoned argument. If they hear a carefully laid out case for how Trump really effed up, they’ll listen. But despite what people here think they’re not stupid, and when they hear someone say “the raw numbers of COVID deaths in America just surpassed Italy” they just become more alienated because they can spot the faulty comparison a mile away.