U.S. State Department to tell Americans abroad: Return immediately, or shelter in place

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/19/state-dept-to-tell-all-americ.html

Americans abroad must return to US or prepare to shelter in place

Americans should stay in countries handling the pandemic competently instead of returning to this shitshow.

33 Likes

… or stay in countries that have a functioning health care system.

14 Likes

Does this apply to the military as well?

6 Likes

Stay in place. You are more likely to be tested there than you will be here.

14 Likes

The message I got from them today didn’t specifically mention a Level 4 travel advisory, but did urge me to make travel arrangements immediately “while flights are available” if I intend to return anytime soon. I don’t, especially not with America’s broken healthcare and Trump running the show.

8 Likes

That would have been good advice 6 weeks ago.

4 Likes

Maybe this finally mean United will refund my ticket to the UK rather than pretending they will still be operating the flights in late April and only offering credits

1 Like

By abroad, do you think they might also mean Puerto Rico, Hawaii, etc?

4 Likes

I’ve been trying to convince some elderly relatives living i. Europe, who have been planning to move back to the US this summer, to wait until next year. I was not having a lot of luck, but it looks like the decision has been made for them.

3 Likes

It’s official now:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/travel-advisory-alert-global-level-4-health-advisory-issue.html

2 Likes

Well the Republicans finally got their wish for effectively sealing the borders. Now we shall see if it turns out to be the economic boom they promised.

8 Likes

The president might not recognize those places as American soil, but I’m pretty sure the State Department does.

4 Likes

My President was way ahead of the State Department on this one. His declaration of a National Emergency brought Americans home in droves.

I think the U.S. State Department is going to end up where the U.S. Pandemic Response team did. /s

1 Like

I think most of us did the calculation days ago as to whether we’d be safer where we were or heading home. I’m not even sure how I would get home if I wanted to from here, since direct flights from the local airport to the US are cancelled and borders to other countries with such flights are closed to me as an utlander.

The USA had more new cases yesterday than any other country.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.