U.S. tells citizens to get out of Russia immediately

Or if you are unlucky enough to still be there:

And one might think twice, or more, about flying out:

U.S. Embassy personnel are generally not permitted to travel on Russian air carriers due to safety concerns. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) downgraded the air safety rating for Russia from Category 1 to Category 2 on April 21, 2022, due to Russia’s Federal Agency for Air Transport noncompliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) safety standards.

Seems risk avoidance is going to be difficult at best.

12 Likes

There’s lots of stuff that’s only available on-site. Material that is 19th century and earlier isn’t all that threatening to anyone.

14 Likes

Still- that won’t save them when the hate gets cranked up further for political purposes. Basketball players used to be special too.

21 Likes

For now. Although the way the Putin regime has been attempting to re-write history in its attempt to justify its illegal invasion, that attitude may change.

14 Likes

True. But for all that historians study the horrors of the past, we’re often quite oblivious to how those in the present could directly affect us.

10 Likes

Well, but isn’t Putin wanting to make these connections to the pre-Soviet Russian empire? Not having the correction interpretation might piss him off… Often regimes look to spin even older history in particular ways to put themselves in the best light.

I guess it depends on what you’re working on and what part of history a particular regime is looking to spin for their own advantage. Being an African American historian in FL right now probably isn’t too comfortable if you are doing anything that challenges the “America has always been great” narrative…

And what did dear old Nikita say about historians?

He seems like a former leader that Putin would not like, but I’m sure he agrees with this comment.

15 Likes

Warning travellers is only part of what those advisories do. They also create an official record that you can refer to in case you have to convince your employer, customer, insurance or whomever that getting out of Russia was indeed the only reasonable thing to do.

25 Likes

While there are citizens that may be there that may get caught up in this that deserve negotiations for release (journalists, historians, etc.), if one of these idiots that went over to support the Putin regime gets taken as a meat shield, we really should just leave them there. FAFO.

9 Likes

AND they reduce the amount of political pressure for the State Dept. to ransom you out if you are taken hostage by the regime. :“We TOLD them to get out. If they didn’t, it isn’t OUR fault.”

18 Likes

I feel like any US citizen who remains in Russia after this last year is somewhere down the spectrum of batshit insanity and completely lacking in any sense of self-preservation.

6 Likes
13 Likes

Or a Putin sympathizing republican. Like you said.

11 Likes

One thing that makes me sad is that my wife studied there in the 80s, and will likely never be able to visit again. I went in 1999, and she regrets not going with me, that was a brief window where I think it would have been safe. Then the terrorism and Chechnya happened, and as her appearance had her often mistaken there for being from the Caucasus and we thought it better to wait but it’s only gotten worse and now this.

15 Likes

U.S. tells citizens to get out of Russia immediately

In anticipation of Stephen Colbert tonight:

6 Likes

Not familiar with that aconym?

6 Likes

When you roll over the acronym on the DOS site it displays the meaning.

10 Likes

Pictured: Russia taking Greenwald hostage.

10 Likes

I wouldn’t bet on even diplomatic staff being safe.

9 Likes

some days ago

8 Likes

I can’t even find the site.