U.S. Treasury resumes efforts to place Harriet Tubman on $20 dollar bill

“Ah. I see. And does the competing diner across the street take these twenties? Well, then I think I’m going to work up twice the appetite heading there. Good day, sirrah.” Fantasy of telling off racists aside, I think they’d accept them, but like all racists they’d mutter something under their breath juuuuuust loud enough for you to hear as they do.

6 Likes

As much as they might dislike it, I highly doubt anyone is going to turn away payment with a $20, or a handful of them. If their income is based on cash coming in, cash is cash.

It may be weird if people say “how many Harriets do you want for that?” because I don’t really want to think of using Harriet specifically as a means of acquisition of goods or services.

6 Likes

That would be epic.

2 Likes

You know they’d try it!

7 Likes

:face_vomiting:

4 Likes

Pish. Everyone knows that the faces on US currency, like the Declaration and Constitution, were handed down, etched on tablets from God, by Moses along with the Ten Commandments.

7 Likes

For there to be any threat of retaliation from the right, there would have to be some low to which they would not sink anyway. But there isn’t.

1 Like

Small note - paper bills, including the $20, are produced by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. The Mint only produces coinage.
On that note, I was just thinking the other day how long it’s been since I’ve seen a quarter with an eagle on the reverse. I do appreciate that the Mint is more open to new permanent and temporary designs.

6 Likes

Anyone who complains on the right, ask them what their problem is with a gun toting supporter of Lincoln being on the $20.

You could even use hyperbole to claim she was a Republican.

6 Likes

Well, if they tried to put Twice-Impeached Trump on a bill, either they’d have to change the law or he’d have to be dead. If they tried to edit that section of the law, someone else could propose deleting that section altogether.

1 Like

Which is why they skipped Carter in the presidential dollar coin series. They probably would have changed the law for Reagan.

3 Likes

Everybody knows Trump is on the $3 bill.

3 Likes

Nah, they’ll change the -$12 bill to put Trump on it instead of Quentin Trembley III.

1 Like

yes I was using the term print money as a reference to increasing the money supply not printing replacement bills thank you for clarifying that.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure Cherokees use the current $20, and with the Trail of Tears and all they have personal reasons to dislike Jackson.

1 Like

So you understand perfectly well that putting a portrait of an African-American woman on the $20 bill is not going to have any impact on the value of the dollar or the opinions of the alleged “international banking cartel”, nor is it “allowed to happen” because respect for the dollar is already declining.

3 Likes

Once we get Tubman on the $20, it will be 50 or more years before anyone dares to remove it.

I’m more concerned that Trumpist gops will try to start naming things after him. As if trump didn’t name enough things after himself.

Reagan Airport is bad enough. (What’s crazy is: it was renamed in 1998, during Clinton’s administration.) Really, democrats need to preemptively name everything that’s not nailed down.

2 Likes

You DO realize that more Black people live in the south, right? And not all of us are racist assholes? Like, you know, the state that just flipped blue and handed the Democratic party a razor thin margin in the Senate?

How about we stop with assuming only those of us who live in the south are racist assholes, when racist assholes literally live all over the country, including in the bluest of states. :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

It’s of course literally ever state in the union. Every single state has a racist underbelly and a history of racism, as you know, but too many folks here seem willing to ignore or forget when one needs to feel superior. I find it really irritating for us down here to be constantly singled out, because it’s generally just used to deflect from the racism in other parts of the country. Like maybe NYC, Chicago, and LA need to clean up their own messes instead of saying “at least we’re not GA” or whatever… Yes, we got racists down here. Duh. So does all of America/the west!

And if they did, they’d be really stupid to do so…

10 Likes

in never said it would I’m totally for it

I can’t help but wonder but its merely speculation. again though I’m totally for it