UC Davis's Officer Pepper Spray gets a $38K payout for mental trauma of being hated by the entire world

While I think I agree with your general sentiment, it’s not really applicable in this situation. This was a settlement between the officer and the workers’ compensation insurance company, which that company (apparently) chose not to fight.

As far as overhaul is concerned, again the sentiment is correct, but I would say that in general, workers compensation insurance is a good thing for workers. In this case, it looks as if the insurance company paid out to make a problem go away. IANAL, but I don’t think “extrajudiscial killings [and] secret courts” are on the same level of batshit insanity as workers compensation insurance.

6 Likes

Irresponsibility:
“No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood.”

5 Likes

I’m thinking no. Of course, if I was the UC Davis Cop, I’d spend my windfall on a legal name change, and perhaps a new SSN. . .

3 Likes

They got $27K each, roughly, before lawyer fees.

2 Likes

You can get a new SSN?

Now that is not right.

Yes, you can. It’s not EASY, it’s most commonly done via the Witness Relocation program, but post-op trans-sexuals can get one when they change their name, because Social Security cannot change the original record on an account, which includes sex. . . . a buddy of mine did it, after he transitioned to male from female. . .

4 Likes

Any employer has a duty to the employee to ensure that he is properly trained and supported for the work he is doing and to ensure that they think he will do it correctly. Seems clear to me that UC Davis is partially responsibly for this guys screwing up his entire life and so this is the result the guy gets a measly 38k to live the rest of his life on.

Yes the guy has responsibility but so does the employer to oversee his work and make sure he does things correctly. I am guessing that this is the case that would have been made if the insurance company defended it and I suspect if you looked hard at the training the guy received and the assessments made of his character that UC Davis wouldn’t come out well and so they settled!

We can all just hope that they learn from this and improve their systems to prevent a repeat. I am not hopeful but you never know.

2 Likes

He should be crushed, financially and emotionally, as a warning to the next asshole with a pepper spray can and a chip on his shoulder.

6 Likes

Wow he doesn’t realize he did this entirely to himself, guy is clearly not very bright… love the repeat performance! If he thought everyone hated him before, ha!

2 Likes

I don’t think this guy has any real justification for it. I can see it with the example you provided, however. I wonder if identity theft victims can do it.

1 Like

“…but he is just a disposable face and arm of the system. The true blame should be assigned elsewhere.”

That attitude automatically excuses everyone who ever said “I was just following orders”. If the peons who are ordered to abuse the public would refuse to do so, some problems might actually get solved.

6 Likes

Considering that you elect the same shit every four years, yeah, pretty much.

Though that’s not an unique feature of the US. Just look at the recent German elections.

1 Like

Shit on one side, shit on the other. Lesser evil, and so on. I’m really sick of the entire deal. I hear this all the time," Well vote them out!". Then WHO do you vote for? The one person a group of corporations paid for, or the other person who a different, or the same, group of corporations paid for? Or do you give up altogether? Until campaign finance reform is brought into play, and I’m not holding my breath, it will be the same on both sides with some small differences. You can vote for an alternative party or independent person, but they won’t get in, your message will be a whisper in the wind, and you’ve tipped the real vote one way or another. It’s all nicely rigged.

4 Likes

Therapist to John Pike: ‘Hmmm… have you tried not being a sadistic prick, Mmmm K?’

2 Likes

I think we can assign blame to the individual who took the action as well as to the institution that trained the individual to take that sort of action under those sort of circumstances.

And we should.

8 Likes

I don’t know what I am more aghast at - that this guy got $38K, or that he worked for a COLLEGE and made $120K.

9 Likes

If he’s lucky, in a month from now, best-case scenario, he’s managing a Cinnabon in Omaha.

5 Likes

On the big level, yes. However, unlike most Western parliamentary systems, Americans can vote on lots of stuff, depending on where they life.

1 Like

“Nicely rigged”. Yes, of course. It’s not like huge percentages of elligible voters never vote or anything, right?

If people cared enough to actually vote, they could vote for anyone they want. We have the internet now, there’s absolutely no reason a third party candidate couldn’t get the exposure necessary to win an election. The only reason this has yet to happen is that people are jaded and don’t care about what happens. Most people simply don’t vote. Those who do vote typically vote for the party they’ve always voted for. And even if they consider voting for someone else, they typically forget that third parties even exist, only considering the other “big” party as an option.