UK government wants to ban this tiny phone in some harebrained effort to stop prison smuggling

When you have a lot of influence and money, it’s easy to “do some good in the world” or suchlike.

What’s worrisome is his support for homeopathy and other “complementary treatments”, and writing spider letters giving government ministers advice where he should butt out.

With enough force.

2 Likes

Far cheaper to just stucco some wire mesh to the outside walls of the cell block and turn the whole place into a Faraday cage.

That really sounds like a potential Butthole Surfers album title.

2 Likes

This thread needs theme music:

I’m certain there’s a “Christ, what an asshole!” joke here somewhere. I just can’t seem to find the right angle to fit it in, as it were.

He seems to support “alternative medicine” generally (does he talk about homeopathy specifically, in the sense of minute amounts of things being more powerful?), that is seemingly tied to his ideas about nature, which on the whole seem good in the sense that he’s concerned with the environment not being destroyed. The not interfering with government issue (the spider letters), I don’t know what to say. Personally I’d rather government ministers butted out of government myself.

I imagine the reason you’d be given as to why this couldn’t happen is that there are legitimate and mission-critical radio waves that must come out of a cell block (e.g., guards’ radios).

But really, the answer would be that a certain amount of contraband is always tolerated. Perfect and absolute compliance with all the rules of a prison would take effort way past the point of marginal utility. A few unofficially tolerated phones probably results in a couple fewer improvised weapons.

1 Like

how is that possible, in this age of Satellites? shouldnt they cover the entire earth by now?

Yeah, but you should see the size of the charger!

2 Likes

Um, that’s not the way cell phones work. You’re probably thinking of satellite phones, like the Iridium system, which has nothing to do with what you’ve got in your pocket.

so cell phones are reliant on local cell towers, which are usually everywhere in urban areas and intermittently scattered thru farmland and desert. What uses the satellites in space? are those just for satphones, and tv stations that need to relay data?

why are there still intercontinental cables buried under land and under and on top of the ocean floor connecting continents if satellites can do the same function?

From his last visit to prison:

…and that was a single visit.

3 Likes

internet 2.0 users will never know the horrors of the old BBSes

1 Like

Now if ever there was a legit reason to acquire and use one of those “stingray” cell tower simulators…here you go.

Bet you could modify one to reject any cell call not on an authorized list.

Those little dink phones cant have great antennas or much power so I’ll bet you can easily make a cell signal that would override outside sources.

Governments, especially the UK, find banning anything even vaguely connected to criminals to be much simpler though.Ask anyone doing time for “knife crime” in England because someone didn’t like their pocket knife.

I can’t wait to see how they are going to handle the statistically significant increase in using cars and trucks to kill people by mowing down crowds of pedestrians now that is becoming a serious “thing”.

Satellites are much more versitile than fiber optic cables, they can change where their antenna points, to favor some parts of the earth on short notice, and the download dishes can be as small as the thing on your roof, or the briefcase antenna of a sat phone.
And short of causing an international incident, they’re far less vulnerable to tampering or vandalism.

But they’re far more expensive to operate than fiber, and they can’t handle anywhere near the bandwidth that fiber can.

There’s a whole hobby nerd-herd of folks who like to spot different kinds of antenna in the wild, from microwave horns to satellite dishes to broadcast television. I’ve seen some very well written guides to this realm, unfortunately I don’t have any links handy.

You say “horrors”, I think, “good old days”… Right up there with that great sound of the old '78 disks…

lol. theres a lot i miss about the old forum i frequented. the secret service had to order the moderator to shut it down because of one bad poster with a penchant for playing an internet anarchist

I was thinking along the same lines:a stingray could illuminate all kinds of aspects of mob activity when the head honcho is running things from inside…

I think it’s part of the police mentality, though, that once the “bad guys” are put away, they can focus their energy on finding more bad guys still free. Ecological thinking isn’t a strong suit for police agencies.

The UK has gone full bore gonzo “Nanny knows best dear” in how it handles almost anything regarding people these days.

And banning is ever so much simpler once some bureaucrat has decided he knows more about what people want and use than they do.

“Risk assessment” is hard work and, it seems, in the UK, even a fractional per cent risk is as bad as a 100% certainty.

1 Like