UK grocer offers strange new tea flavors: Brussels Sprouts and Pigs in Blankets

Mark Thomas once protested outside parliament in favour of surrealism, then a week later protested against surrealism. The same cop had to fill in the permission forms both times.

6 Likes

In a just world Mark Thomas would be an official National Treasure. Sadly…

1 Like

I keep reading about absurd new food items that are supposed to be from the UK and assume they’re just Onion-esque jokes, but no, they always turn out to be real. These at least, unlike some of the others I’ve read about, seem like stunts (like the seasonal Jones brussels sprouts or turkey-and-gravy flavored sodas) that few people would buy with a view to consuming.

I dunno. Sounds like they are trying to vie with the Japanese for weirdly flavored food. On the other hand, these teas sound strangely interesting to me…

We in the UK have a looooooooong way to go to compete with Japan…

But is it proper pigs in a blanket (ground pork/beef & cabbage) or the terrible sausage/pancake thing for children?

the sausage pancake combination is the only one i’ve ever heard referred to as pigs in a blanket, the other we simply call cabbage rolls. maybe we could call one of them constables in a comforter?

1 Like

I’d love pigs in a blanket. And just sub out honey and use maple syrup instead to sweeten.

I’m not sure what all this talk of ground meat and cabbage is (or honey) … but pigs in a blanket are small sausages or chipolatas wrapped in streaky bacon. But apparently the heathen colonials think pigs in blankets are sausages in a pastry wrapping. Not to be confused with sausage rolls, which are sausage meat (ground pork) in pastry.
No cabbage involvement, though.

1 Like

I am English and would like to confirm that fucking with tea flavours is a capital offence and this grocer can expect a visit from the authorities.
Not a hanging offence but they’ll let him stew for a bit.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, the Metro is owned by the same group as the Daily Mail, so it’s best never to expect anything from them, as you will be inevitably disappointed.

(To those of you not familiar with the Metro, it’s a free newspaper that is aimed at commuters, and is distributed at train stations and on buses. To produce it, the process seems to be- take today’s edition of the Mail, and cut out all the crazy. You will be left with a thin, insubstantial paper and a load of ads.)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.